1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Hi Air Nation!

Discussion in 'Welcome Everyone! New Members Start Here...' started by Gary737, May 24, 2013.

1. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

United States United States
    I'm glad that I somehow stumbled onto this web site and I enjoy the regular emails and articles. Glad that there is a Message Board here too! I'll try to kick in my .02 once in a while.

Dad was Air Corps and USAF for 24 years. He was a 19 y/o Corporal when he started Pilot Training in 1942 and ended up retiring in 1965 as a Major. Flew mostly transports. C-45, C-46, C-47, C-119 as well as a smattering of B-25s, SA-16s, B-24s and for fun, he'd hop in a T-6!

He got me hooked on flying when as a kid, we'd go get our crew cuts at Keesler AFB, then breakfast at the O Club and then he'd sit me on the hood of our 1955 Ford Wagon near the runway and watch planes all morning!

At 25, I sold my car and started flying lesson and by 30 I was in the right seat of a 737. Got some lucky breaks along the way, I'll admit! Flew 737s, MD-80s (4 types), the Fokker 100 ("The little motor Fokker"!) and started commercially in the Embraer 110, the "Bandit" in 1984. Got 20 minutes and 4 landings in an ex-TWA DC-9-10 series late one night in Peoria as part of my qualification to go on to fly the MD-80s.

Started as a Gate Agent at Air Florida in 1978, transferred to be a F/A in 1981 (I'd make more money for flying lessons and have more time off), then got hired on the Bandit for an Air Florida Commuter in 1984. In 1985, I was lucky to get hired at Midway Express on the 737-200 which was being flown under the old Air Florida Certificate. Midway had bought out AF and took on the planes and crews at the MIA base. I ended up flying the same 737s as I had flown as a F/A and with a crew made up of my former, fellow F/As!

Midway crapped out in 1991 and I flopped around with some charter airlines, a re-newed Midway (Fk-100) and then Air South out of Columbia, SC back on the 737-200. I lost my FAA Medical then and went on to teach 737-200 Ground School and Sim for the very beginnings of AirTran in Orlando. Been fully retired since 1997.

2. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Gold Member I

Gary,
    You never really are "fully" retired from aviation. I pulled the plug in 98 but can't help but stop and look up at every airplane that is making noise overhead. A great history and thanks for sharing.
    Ed

FlyerKing17 likes this.
  3. KennethHolland

KennethHolland Hangar Silver Member IV Staff Member

Welcome to the Hangar Gary! And post as much as you want...we need more of you around here!! :)

FlyerKing17 and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

Welcome aboard.

FlyerKing17 and Everett 757 like this.
  5. Gary737

Thanks guys....... I've got some good airline photos that I can share as well as a few "stories" that need their own threads.......

Orca17, FlyerKing17 and Everett 757 like this.
  6. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Welcome aboard to this great site! It is wonderful to have someone with your experience joining us. I look forward to seeing your airline photos, and reading the "stories" that you have to share!

FlyerKing17 likes this.
  7. Gary737

Thanks for the nice Welcome! I've posted some B-737 photos and some DC-9 photos in the Airline Gallery section if you want to look there. I have a bunch more airliner photos (most from the 70s and 80s) that I get posted as well.

FlyerKing17 likes this.
  8. FlyerKing17

FlyerKing17 Administrator

Canada Canada
    Welcome Gary!!