1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Xiamenair-plane-skids-off-runway-in-crash-landing-at-manila

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Exuma Guy, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  3. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    The passenger video didn't look very hard. Wonder if the damage was done after leaving the runway.
    Saw 2 planes go missed at ILS minimums today from the same low pressure weather system.
    I could see them but they couldn't see the runway.

Runway excursions are by far the most numerous type of airline accidents these days.
    The industry has been preaching about 'stabilized approaches' to reduce runway excursions.
    Xiamen has a stringent stabilized approach criteria (so f'ing slow that I get pissed if sequenced behind them).
    However....
    There's 2 contributing factors that no one considers in this type of accident.

First is porous asphalt. It works good in light rain. Braking action is good.
    In moderate or heavy rain, porous asphalt doesn't drain the water well enough.
    The runway surface is shiny and braking action is poor.
    Pilot's can stand on the brakes and it ain't going to slow down any time soon.
    Demonstrated this to a new F/O just this week.
    Add 30 knots of gusting crosswind and the runway may as well be covered in ice.
    Grooved concrete as used in much of the US at major airports is much better in adverse weather conditions.

Second is rain repellent, or lack there of.
    Even with RVR at 2000 meters (well above typical ILS minimums of 800 meters),
    Windshield wipers banging at ferocious speed isn't enough to keep the windscreen clear.
    You need rain repellent in order to see the runway.
    Twice this month I took over the controls below 200' from the F/O's because I could see the runway and they couldn't.
    The difference is rain repellent. My windscreen had it and theirs' did not.
    Most maintenance departments don't appreciate the safety factor of rain repellent.
    They hate it because unclogging the nozzles takes 10 man-hours of labor or more,
    and the nozzles clog very frequently.
    A few of us old dogs carry a little rain repellent in our flight bags.
    Unlike the old days, modern rain repellent is non-toxic when used as directed.
    Rain-X is the trade-name in the US. Glaco is the trade-name in Japan.

This particular accident could just be that the pilot banged the plane into the runway because his/her depth perception was altered due to low visibility, but the frequency of this type of accident could be reduced if more attention was given to these 2 factors.
    But.....

What the F do I know...
    I'm just a pilot.... o_O

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States

EG's new private ride just out of the paint shop, :p;):cool:........................btw, I LOVE Rain-X!

EG's Private Jet(1).jpg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Everett 757 likes this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    Original! I like it!

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.