1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

WHY FOUR ENGINES ARE BETTER THAN TWO............

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by Richard Wyeroski, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Yes, can not risk the leader of the free world on one engine in the event of a failure!

BTY there is an order in for 2 new 747 aircraft to become the new AIRFORCE 1........

Orca17, Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Well I believe this thread will hit the 200k mark. Amazing right!. There have been big changes by the airlines with respect to Twin Jet operations long distance over the poles and the Pacific. I remain concerned, but no one really cares. Other then some close calls and landings on a few remote islands in the middle of no where, there has not be a fatal with a loss of all aboard.

Every airline in the US, Europe and the rest of the world has switched to new twin jets. Being a former FAA inspector, I know the risk management boys are looking at 330 minute ETOPS rules. Yes they are looking alright, they now issued 350 minutes if needed. There are big fuel savings and more profit, which is the idea.

The risk has increased 10 fold as many more aircraft are now operating twins. The risks increase. The same problems are still there like bogus parts and poor unsurvailed maintnenance by shops in third world countries. Add to the fact that the FAA has close all their International Field Offices IFO's around the world and so no inspections are being performed by the FAA any longer over seas!

The risks are higher. much higher and no one really cares. One day soon a fully loaded wide body will go down with all souls lost. Then it will happen again. Then and only then will some one wake up and go back to safer operations. So don't dump those four engine aircraft right away. I know a bunch are moth balled in a dry area for when they will be needed.

Richard Wyeroski, former FAA safety Inspector GS-13/4

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Orca17, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

View attachment 2307
    I'm sure President Trump will inevitably have to redirect some funds to re-open overseas FAA inspections(as well as FINISHING the wall) since the Demoquacks are hell bent on destroying anything concerning common sense in the USA. (He's just starting), Btw, since 'Billary' and Obozo/Michael Lavagn Robinson posted OLD W.H. Christmas card greetings via twitter, and Ruth(post prostate cancer) Bader 'Ginsborgue'(on ice until it's convenient for the Demoquacks to hold an inflated fake funeral(ala McCain style to divert attention)) have been missing in the public eye since 1-2-19(a day after the new military tribunal law took affect), I wonder how busy it's been in the 'tropics'? ;):p

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  4. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

Good God. Some people need to pull their heads out of Trump's hind end long enough to take a breath.

5. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

I see that the big A380 will cease production in 2021. It will be interesting to see if the 747-8 picks up any orders. I don’t see it happening because the 777X is coming soon, and the airlines seem to be heading full tilt toward twin jets.

6. Richard Wyeroski

Yes all airlines are getting rid of their 4 engine jets. So there will be 100% twin jets on long overwater and polar routes.

What could happen?

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

Hi All

The thread is approaching 200,000 hits world wide. I only hope now that I am wrong and there will not be airliners being lost on the long over water and polar flights.

However, the risks have increased a lot and the regulators are holding their breath!

No one wants fatal air crashes, however they will happen no matter what we do.

I personally feel that two engines are dangerous and now that 10’s of thousands of flights are being made in twin jets the chances have increased.

Nothing more to say..........only that I hope the profits justify loss! according to the risk management boys!

Lastly, I would like to dedicate this thread to Ed who passed away last year....He fought the good fight!

Rest In Peace .....Buddy!

1. 4,880
      Edward Jeszka
      Hangar Gold Member I, Male, 72, from Birmingham, Alabama

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  8. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Well said. :)