1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Who was the pilot in command PIC

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Funny what you can find on the Internet. I attached an FAA accident report completed by me back in 2000. It is an accident with a small R-22 helicopter where the instructor allowed the student to crash the aircraft by rapidly lowering the collective control causing a hard touch down and a wrecked helicopter.

The FSDO manager called me in the office after I filed the report and wanted me to make the student pilot the PIC. I was a bit surprised and informed him that the student can not be pilot in command because he was not rated as a helicopter pilot and the instructor is PIC.

He said he still wanted me to change the PIC. I said I was unable to do that.

The reason I am posting this is to my amazement I always wondered why the manager wanted me to do something that was completely wrong.

Unfortunately I found out that that this manager wanted to protect the instructor for a personal reason.

It was illegal and the NTSB would have of course made the Instructor PIC anyway....thinking I was crazy!

This caused bad blood between me and this FAA manager which later happily suspended me for 10 days on fake phoney charges to get his revenge.

Yes the FAA had strange people in charge........It was like working in an insane asylum with the patients being in charge;)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    http://ihst.rotor.com/portals/54/jhsat/accident_reports/GenPDF173.pdf

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Good Job! :)

Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.
  3. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

...yeah, the Rocky Horror Picture Show while tripping on acid could be an approximation of working for the feds!! Truth is stranger then fiction!!

4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Sounds like fun!! :)

5. Richard Wyeroski

.....it seemed everyone was a little nuts but me?

Rotorruss likes this.
  6. Rotorruss

... nothing has changed in the last 17 years. The nuts know even less now. They are hired that way and groomed for management so the senior management doesn't feel threatened. It's just a matter of time before the agency will become irrelevant except to what is written in some reference manual. They will be true paper pushers because they won't have to know how to fly or turn a wrench. All it will be is people with a clipboard and checklists answering yes/no questions.

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

Exactly Russ....The accident will go up pretty good!!

Rotorruss likes this.
  8. Rotorruss

...the numbers will continue to be manipulated in a way to make it look like another reduction in numbers. Numbers per 100,000 flight hours is flawed. The flight hours are estimated numbers. Changing a few accidents to incidents will change the accidents per 100,000 hours as well. The easiest is what defines substantial damage or serious injuries? I've seen some pretty substantial damage that were listed as incidents. I've had over $400,000 in medical bills with 3 surgeries and yet they listed my injuries as minor. Thank goodness the damage was substantial to the helicopter, because I would hate to see them try to call it an incident.

Yes, toto, we aren't in Kansas any more!!

9. Richard Wyeroski

A Beech Baron had a gear-up at Brookhaven Airport and I was sent to handle the investigation. Ironically I knew the pilot. He told me the gear collapsed on touch down. The Gear handle was down but the gear just collapsed the pilot said. The flaps were crushed, props, engines and engine cowls badly damaged. There was skin damage underneath the aircraft. The ship skid sideways a little and damaged the wing tip and aileron on the right wing. I estimated the damage (in 2001 dollars) to be well over 125k. The pilot was not injured, but the aircraft sustained major damage as described above. I listed the the crash as an accident and wrote my report. A few days later the ops Supervisor lowered it to and incident.

Yes they called it an incident when it was an accident. No surprise, it was done often to keep the numbers down. The cause was a failure in the gear system causing the gear not to extend all the way.

Now imagine 90 FAA FSDO's across the country and it was systemic to under report actual accidents.

Maybe one day, someone will investigate as to who was responsible for this? Covering up accidents does not help anyone. The regulator and the public lose out as any system will fail to protect the public from harm.

Rotorruss likes this.
  10. Rotorruss

... unfortunately, they don't care about little aircraft. Their bonuses are depended on the numbers. It's been years since they haven't met the numbers for their bonuses. This year has started off with bad numbers. They are starting to worry and not count the numbers correctly.

Come on "biggly one", get the agency back to the core mission!! "Drain the "dman" Swamp"!

11. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

:p Did that show about 10 times. People throwin stuff around, We threw compact tactical stink bombs.

Rotorruss likes this.
  12. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    'About' 10 times? You don't really remember, do you? :D
    Those shows were a little more placid when quaaludes hit the streets...
    People leaving the show and driving 10mph down the road...
    Funnier than the show itself....

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  13. Richard Wyeroski