1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

What's it REALLY like piloting Private Jets for the Rich & Famous?: FlightAware

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by Lord Leighton, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

It is not a glamorous as it seems to be a pilot for 135 charter. One flight I was on is interesting

We departed Teterboro NJ in a small citation jet and immediately had weather issues. Collimated thunderstorms were all over on our departure and weather radar was helping us weave around them. To say we had our hands full would be an understatement. Right in the middle of it all this obnoxious passenger got up and came up to the cockpit to complain that he did not have the right sweetener for his coffee. I politely asked him to sit down as the seat belt sign was on. He continued to complain stating for these prices he should have the right sweetener!

He literally expected me to get up and look for his sweetener. I told him again “please sit down” I will help you in a few minutes, yet he continued to complain and interfere with us.

Finally the Captain turned around and said “SIT THE F*CK DOWN NOW”
    He was startled and finally sat down. Of course he complained to our company and got a reduction in price for his inconvience!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Richard Wyeroski

BTW I flew about 2,000hours on 135 and 91charter flights and have a few more stories. I eventually stop doing it because of the severe time waiting at airports for the passengers to return. Trying to sleep was difficult and the 14 hour duty days get old real fast!

I have some more stories that could make the books but flying the rich and famous was not for me!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  4. Lord Leighton

Just goes to show ya, horse's asses outnumber horses.

Everett 757 and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  5. Richard Wyeroski

Story #2

I was a co-pilot on a Lear 31. It is a cool jet that had a service ceiling of 51 thousand feet and a range of around 1500 miles. The owner was a pilot and like to take off and land. The problem was he was not instrument rated. So the jet could not go above 18,000 feet because that is what is called A airspace. I was hired to be a aboard because I was properly rated and it “covered” the jet to go above FL180.......

The Jet operated under FAR 91 so there were no duty time rules.....

I was properly checked out under FAR 61, which required systems training and three takeoffs and landings. I have to say the first take off in a jet is amazing and quite frankly your in the air and gone before one knows what is happening!!

So I started this job sitting in the back while the owner took off and landed, got bored and then came back to sit in the cabin and I would get up front. The Captain had to change his seat and I would sit on the right!

To say the owner was a bit of a nut is and understatement. This was my first jet job and the pay was not to good either!>>>>>>>>>MORE TO COME:cool:

6. Lord Leighton

You musta been Leary of it all. :rolleyes:

7. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

:D:D:rolleyes: Good one LL!

8. Richard Wyeroski

I mentioned that the Lear 31 had a service ceiling of 51,000 feet. That is pretty high and one can see the curvature of the earth. It was an interesting sight. Of course I did not have a camera but I can still see it!

On a flight heading west the head wind was terrible at the flight level we were at. Our head wind was around 90kts which could cut our ground speed down considerably. I asked ATC if we could climb to the highest altitude west they could give us. I requested 51,000 and the controller said nice and approved. As we leveled off our head wind had dropped of to just 10kts. In reality we were above the Jet Stream picking up 80 kits ground speed. The only issue would be if we had a pressurization problem like a explosive decompression there would be no time to get the the oxygen masks on!

The lear was a hardy bird. well designed and it could actually be hand flown right to it’s service ceiling with no problem !

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  9. Everett 757

Very interesting!

Lord Leighton likes this.
  10. Lord Leighton

Wow! 9.7 miles high. Probably very hard to see it with the naked eye from the ground. I imagine you were wearing a Hawaiian shirt, cargo shorts and flip flops too, right? :p

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  11. Everett 757

:D:D

Lord Leighton likes this.
  12. Richard Wyeroski

The lear is a sweet bird. it weighed 16,500 gross weight and could fly to it’s service ceiling on takeoff flying by hand with no problem!!!!FUN FUN!!!
    14CD12AD-4393-4058-9300-AE0D834539E9.jpeg 03E97101-0F01-4AFF-8252-93975507A0F4.jpeg

13. Richard Wyeroski

How about the owner of the Lear wanted to go to the cayman islands. One day there and back.....I sat in my usual seat in the back while he took off. Then he would come back and sit in seat tell me to go up front and earn my pay and the captain would slide over into the left seat. It was a nice flight going! Oh then I would sometimes (many times have to get up so He could make the landing......Same deal musical chairs....

Well the return flight got weird as the owner was known to show up and want to go right away.....He would close the door, Jump in the left seat and do a Mexican start up. ........and away we all would go!!!!

Well this time I was in the terminal at the airport in the caymans paying the fuel bill and getting ice and coffee.....when the gal behind the desk noticed that the lear was taxing away ........She said (YEAH SHE WAS CUTE AND HOT) ......””HEY ISN’T THAT YOUR AIRCRAFT LEAVING!!!!

YIPES!!!!!!!

It was, I said please call the plane tell them the co-pilot is still in the terminal!!!!!.......Well fortunately the Lear stopped abruptly and turned around and headed for the ramp real quick.......the door was opened and I jumped in while the owner wacko started to yell at me for not being on the plane>>>>Yeah he yelled....

Building Jet time is a hoot......!

The Captain has 30,000 hours and put up with all this as the pay for him was good and for me bad!!!

Later that day we laughed and he said don’t worry it will take more then that to kill me....! He is whacked, but it was a nice plane and we did have fun times despite of the wacko owner

ONE FOR THE BOOKS........:cool:

14. Lord Leighton

Guy sounds dangerous.

15. Richard Wyeroski

No, he was a rich wacko!

16. Lord Leighton

Dangerous! lol

Everett 757 likes this.
  17. Richard Wyeroski

I have a few more stories to come. I hope you believe them since the captain is dead, the wacko owner is dead ........:eek:

The plane was nice. I hand flew every chance I got. One thing the owner could not fly to well, but he was paying the bills!!!!

18. Lord Leighton

Natural death? I love the look of Lear Jets and I heard they're built well. Slick lookin units even today. I also heard they are over powered rockets which is what insurance companies like to hear. More power, more able to get out of trouble.

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  19. Richard Wyeroski

Not many jets can go to their service ceiling without step climbing. The Lear went right up to 51,000

20. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Hurry up and wait... Name of the game.....