1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

What I learned flying aboard the world's crappy airlines

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by vegli, Feb 25, 2015.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    When I was told I was flying to an Indian literary festival via Kuwait Airways, I was ready to arrive in style. Emirates Airline, Etihad Airways, Qatar Airways — the region is known for its luxurious, pampered version of air travel.

Perhaps Kuwait Airways would have a new Airbus A380 with a lounge? High-thread-count bathrobes? Personal air butlers? In any case, I hoped the wine menu would have a nice dry Riesling to help me ease into a different climate, and, heck, some free spa products would be nice.

When I arrived at JFK, I approached a plane so tired-looking it might as well have been a Douglas DC-3. The blue and white livery sported nothing more than the airline’s name and an unidentifiable bird — speculation on the internet ranges between crane, stork, falcon, and “big chicken.”

Once aboard, I entered a retro color scheme combining the 1960s, '70s, and '80s. I half-expected the Persian Gulf version of the cast of "Mad Men" to appear.

The business-class seats did not fully recline. My seat creaked a couple of degrees and then called it a night; meanwhile a flight attendant gracefully dropped what looked like the world’s largest date on my armrest.

This was not a good idea, as it attracted the world’s largest fly, which would buzz around the cabin and swoop onto my armrest for the duration of the flight, hoping for more oversize sweets. Dazed and confused, I reached for the drinks menu: “Diet Pepsi, Coke, 7UP … variety of flavoured teas.”

Read more: http://www.travelandleisure.com/blogs/gary-shteyngarts-misadventures-in-travel

2. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Gold Member I

Nice flight........NOT.

Brent Heiss and Everett 757 like this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

A glutton for punishment? Dry flights? Not a chance for me and when yer flight's F/As are wearing liquid repelling army boots, it's time to seek another avenue or line of work lol.

4. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

I have to agree with the writer on some of the adventure aspects of flying the "lesser" airlines.....

When I lived in Africa I flew some pretty non affluent brands but had some adventures that are burnt into my memory and bring a smile to my face when remembered....

In the Middle East when I lived there and traveled the smaller less know Airlines the same thing....

If I was making a long 12 hour flight I would of course choose the "brand name" airline with the new stuff, but I also adhere to the notion that getting there is half the adventure....

Also some of the small places or out of the way places only have the no name airlines that fly into them... so chose the one that is known to be the safest and enjoy the ride...

Let the adventure continue...

5. jbbooks

jbbooks Hangar Bronze Member V

Like a 19", black and white tv at the Marriott

6. Lord Leighton

With tin foil hangin off the rabbit ears!

Kevin, Brent Heiss, jbbooks and 2 others like this.
  7. Irish MD-11

Irish MD-11 Hangar Bronze Member V

Switzerland Switzerland
    Gosh, to fly with such a bunch I would expect them to PAY me,and not the other way around;)... And I'm not Scottish:)!

Irish-MD11

8. Lord Leighton

Yer bein "Off Kilter" :rolleyes:

9. cgm

cgm Hangar Associate Member IV

very funny article !