1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Vegas to Manchester via Chicago (one hell of a day)

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by David, Jun 21, 2014.

1. David

David Hangar Bronze Member II

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well the day started great, one mighty fine breakfast at bally's hotel, a nice relaxing cab ride to mcarren and AA checkin was really quiet. I had no idea what lay ahead.
    We boarded our MD80 on time and had good exit row seats over the wing (21A & B)
    The captain reported that ground crew were having trouble with a latch and would have to call maintenance. Whatever the issue was it took one hour to resolve then we pushed back and was on our way to O'hare. The delay was not an issue as we had a four hour stop over until flight 54 left for Manchester.
    Obviously when in Vegas the last thing one does is sit in a hotel room watching TV so I had no idea about the weather of the two previous days but when we arrived at O'hare at 2.55pm it seemed very busy even for Chicago. A quick glance at the departure board did not show our gate yet so we popped out side for a bit of fresh air. When we came back through to departures we were told gate K15. As we walked to our gate Passed other gates I noticed K1 Boston cancelled, K2 Newark cancelled, K3 Memphis cancelled and so on.
    I quickly went to the departures board and was shocked to see over 100 flights cancelled and passengers were just being directed to the re booking phones with little or no help from staff, there was lines of frustrated passengers as far as the eye could see down the entire length of concourse K.
    When I finally got to gate K15 the screen announced a gate change to H11B so we trundled over to H11B and the screen telling us the flight was delayed until 22.00 from 18.10. After looking out of the window onto the apron I noticed construction work and realised there was no way for an aircraft to get to gate H11B either now or within the next 3 weeks!
    Sure enough about an hour later the gate staff announced another gate change, now to K13.
    By the time we arrived back on K it was chaos with huge lines of people waiting to speak to re booking for their cancelled flights.
    At 9pm with no 767-300 on stand at K13 I new we would not be pushing back at 10 even though I could hear the ramp agents reassuring people it would. 9.45 and just as we were being told our aircraft was about to be towed to the gate from another part of the air field an all mighty lightning strike hit one of the terminal buildings and all movements were suspended until the storm passed.
    We finally boarded at 11pm and found ourselves at the back of a line of 20 aircraft taxiing to the runway, great!
    When we finally left O'hare we had a great flight with seats 13J & H (main cabin extra) and arrived in Manchester at 3pm BST.
    I did feel very lucky to fly out that night but also I felt frustrated at the way people where basically left to there own devices when there flights were cancelled.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Midway737

Midway737 Hangar Associate Member II

United States United States
    whooo glad i didn't travel on that day. I do remember my flight to BWI via PHL on US Airways was delayed so i remember calmly ask for another flight which they booked me on United Airlines from ORD to BWI nonstop.

Having flight cancelled, I would be very nervous...

3. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

Sounds like T5 at LHR on a bad day.:(

4. David

David Hangar Bronze Member II

I had the misfortune to travel to Madrid through T5 during the first week of opening and it was bad plus lost all luggage for 4 days.

5. Kenneth Kibben

Kenneth Kibben Hangar Associate Member III

United States United States
    Had a cancellation happen to me 6-25-14 on United, IAD to OKC. Stood in line for an hour to find out I had been re-booked. IAD to TPA. TPA-ORD the next morning then ORD-OKC. Arriving at 2:15 pm. Agent was able to get me a different booking. IAD-IAH then IAH-OKC next morning. All this after flying from CPH-IAD. Ended up being a VERY long day... Luggage also made it... Bonus!!!!