1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Two crashes in a week!

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Richard Wyeroski, Jun 12, 2019 at 8:44 AM.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    This was not a good week for aviation as there were two separate fatal crashes with a light aircraft and a helicopter.

The media always rushes to comment before any investigation can begin. It’s the matter of the beast, I suppose.....

The Beach Bonanza took off at Islip MacArthur Airport and it appears there could have been an in flight fire aboard the aircraft related to an engine failure? The pilot and his wife were killed. He tried to make a field, but anyone that files aircraft know that fire is so dangerous as the cockpit fills with smoke
    and incapacitates the pilot. The aircraft was totally destroyed and the probable cause will be hard to find!

The Helicopter crash was horrible and the loss of life could have been great if the pilot did not try it land on a NYC roof top. It was very windy in rain and low visibility with fog.

BTW helicopters are allowed to fly as low as 200 feet and they can land anywhere in a small space. This pilot was not IFR rated and the media jumped all over that fact?! Since most helicopters operate Visually.....

It appears the pilot was disorientated and spotted flat roof to land on. As I said the wind was a factor, blowing over 30 KTS. It would have been a difficult landing at best.

Of course the media connect 9/11 to the crash and our great governor stated he believes terrorism was not a factor.......yes terrorism. God sound bits for a politician!

I have flown in helicopters around NYC and up drafts are deadly and flying by buildings is difficult......Let the investigations begin!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/new-york-city-helicopter-crash-pilot-former-volunteer-fire-chief

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019 at 8:52 AM
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

R.I.P. After looking at that wreckage, the dog's name must be 'Lucky'. What's with all the Bonanzas going down over the last little while? I saw in FLYING Mag recently an article on a turbine conversion for them. Might not be a bad idea.

3. Richard Wyeroski

There are a few of those turbine Bonanzas flying around. The cost is prohibitive and the range is not good .......

The Continental IO—520 has been around for years, but an experienced shop should be involved with the overhaul and maintenance....

I like the Lycoming 540 engine better but then it would not pay again to change engines!

Yes may they rest in peace.........

4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

And yet we are the gold standard and the accident rate is going down:rolleyes: Anyone who has done any mountain flying knows all about how the wind reacts around obstacles. Being around buildings is no place to be when the wind is blowing. Thank goodness we have a "gold standard" regulator to save the day.

5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

Another tragic week in aviation. Both pilots seem to try to do the least damage to anyone on the ground that they could. The pilot of the Bonanza in a field and the pilot of the helicopter on a roof. The media jumped all over the pilot of the helicopter who happens to be from my area Dutchess County a little further North of me in the town of Clinton Corners that he was not instrument rated. May he RIP. He sounds like a good man Volunteer Fireman and all. Of course the Limousine Liberals like Rep. Carolyn Maloney (D) NY wants to ban all helicopter travel anywhere near Manhattan. The current system is safe and hundreds of helicopters travel up and down both the East River and Hudson River everyday. You just have to follow the rules. Contact LGA ATC when you leave those corridors and your fine. The accidents seem to happen to pilots that don't follow the rules or have mechanical failures. This guy did his best not to land on a midtown street and lost his life in the process. Let the investigators do their job instead of the media pointing fingers and making comparisons to 9/11.

I am very familiar with Islip McArthur Airport as I made many flights into there as a student pilot in the early 1980's. My heart goes out to the friends and family of the couple that lost their lives in that accident. People don't realize the size and scope of the GA community, they just think of the airlines Part 121 operations. Lives are lost in General Aviation, a lot of them lately just in ones and twos so no one notices it they only notice the large airliner crashes and shake their head.

My daughter came to visit us last month and flew home out of SWF on the first leg of her journey back to Norfolk, Va on an American Eagle (Piedmont) Embraer 140. My wife said "Oh my God what a small plane was she aware of this." I prepped her yes she was aware and wasn't afraid, not this guy's daughter.

I asked my wife if she really wanted to see a small plane. I drove over to the Textron Cessna/Citation FBO on the other side of the field and found a Cessna 172 to point out to her. I told her that was the plane I was learning to fly in before I met her. She said it was smaller than our car. Yep people don't understand the GA community and the important part it plays in the U.S. total aviation system.

My all who lost their lives this week in aviation accidents Rest In Pace. Brave souls with an honorable passion.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019 at 8:35 AM
  6. Richard Wyeroski

Kevin

So right and great post. The Media always sensationalized accidents and nothing seems to change.

The helicopter flights are mostly all visual since they fly low and stay out of the way of fixed wing. It’s possible this fellow in the helicopter lost visual in fog and had control problems. We may never know what really happened.

The Bonanza pilot is in my community and that will will also be hard to find the cause.

I know no matter what the FAA does the accident rate does not change. The safety meetings are boiler plate seminars.

I have been to hundreds of meeting over the years and the same people always show up.....That is good but the accident pilots never go to safety meetings

I said a while ago the FAA should make attending a few safety meetings a year mandatory and maybe that would help a little...

However the FAA has no effective programs....

Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.