1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Trump's Election opens TFR over the Hudson River Corridor: AVwebflash

Discussion in 'Airport News, Talk & Discussion' started by Lord Leighton, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Trump's Election Opens TFR Over Hudson River Corridor
    By Elaine Kauh

[​IMG]
    Now that he has won the presidential election, Donald Trump’s home in midtown Manhattan is within a Temporary Flight Restriction. The VIP TFR, effective Wednesday, closes open flights through the popular Hudson River area for sightseeing the city skyline. The FAA Notam is effective immediately through Trump’s inauguration on Jan. 20, 2017. The TFR has a 2-nautical-mile radius from the surface to 2,999 feet AGL. It still allows arrivals and departures from five locations including heliports and the New York Skyports Inc. Seaplane Base, as well as medical, law enforcement, firefighting and other emergency operations. All aircraft operating in the TFR must be in two-way radio communications with ATC and squawk an assigned transponder code.

AOPA said Wednesday it plans to look for options to provide more open access to the area. “AOPA respects the need to provide increased security for President-elect Donald Trump, but we will work to see if there is a way to balance the restrictions while maintaining GA access to the airspace,” said Nobuyo Sakata, the association’s director of aviation security. It remains to be seen how the TFRs will look when President Trump is in Manhattan, and the permanent flight restrictions to 18,000 feet surrounding the White House and Washington area remain in place.

Drjohn and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  2. Lord Leighton

Starting today for a reason I can't figure out, President Trump's 757 started to be visible on FL24's tracking maps starting with this morning's flight to Washington. It has been blocked in every way before this. :D

3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

TFR's....only keep the good people out...!....

Lord Leighton likes this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Think of this though. It's temporary and should some terrorists want to pull a repeat of 9/11, the skies will be clearer for the Airforce/ANG to concentrate on such nefarious targets. ;)

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  5. Richard Wyeroski

A TFR causes a tremendous loss of revenue for flight schools in the effected area. An example would be when Obama would fly to Marrth's Vinyard for 17 days. A thirty mile in diameter ring is drawn around the airport where AIRFORCE 1 sits. There is a list of restricted and banned operations in the hughe chunk of airspace. Absolutely no flight training is authorized! So right in the middle of the flight training season, about 15 airports are banned to conduct any flight training......NO EXCEPTIONS!!!...

Now if I an American Citizens would like to fly to any of these airports, I must first fly to an entry airport outside the 30 mile ring and clear a security search that can literally take hours or days to accomplish.....I always thought it was stupid and dumb and a big burden on everyone. Sure when the President first arrives a restriction is warranted....I agree, but after he leaves and goes where ever the TFR should be modified. THe problem we have is those people that control TFR's have little aviation or business experience. The financial loss to businesses is huge.....and unfair.....IMHO

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  6. Lord Leighton

This will change soon after 1/20/2017 I'm sure as Trump is not known to stifle business.

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

.....I am not sure if security procedures could be changed. But, anything is now possible with President Trump.

COMMON SENSE IN GOVERNMENT?

8. Richard Wyeroski

.......I Remember when the then President Clinton kept LAX closed completely for an extra 45 minutes as he got a hair cut aboard AIRFORCE- 1 It is against regulations to give hair cuts in the air. It was something I never forgot as 1000's of people waited for AIRFORCE-1 to take off so a busy airport like LAX could operate.

Hmmm.... !

MORE>>>>>>
    http://articles.latimes.com/1993-07-01/local/me-9027_1_los-angeles

9. Lord Leighton

I know, right? ;)