1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

This one's for Russ!!!

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Exuma Guy, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas

Rep. Joe Neguse introduces helicopter safety legislation inspired by Frisco Flight For Life crash

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/lo...ion-inspired-by-frisco-flight-for-life-crash/

This week, 2nd Congressional District Rep. Joe Neguse, alongside Rep. Ed Perlmutter (CO-07) introduced the Safe Helicopters Now Act in Congress. The legislation will provide helicopter manufacturers with a tax credit for retrofitting existing emergency helicopters with safer fuel systems.

"Emergency helicopters and the people who pilot them are on the front lines of some of the toughest times for Americans," Neguse said in a press release. "I introduced this bill to ensure that emergency workers in Colorado and across the country can safely accomplish the tremendous tasks set before them and feel secure while keeping the rest of us safe."

The bill was written with help from Karen Mahany, widow of Patrick Mahany, the Flight for Life pilot who was killed in a helicopter crash in Frisco back in 2015. The crash resulted in a fire that claimed Mahany's life and severely injured the two flight nurses on board. Following the incident, the National Transportation Security Board recommended that crash-resistant fuel systems be a requirement for all civil rotorcrafts.

"This legislation is so critical. It is something the industry needs and wants," said Dave Respher, one of the nurses who survived the Frisco crash with horrific injuries. "What is out there right now in helicopters is ancient in safety and technology. There haven't been any significant safety improvements since the 1960's."

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    About F**king time huh? ;)

3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

The Part 23 rewrite was suppose to allow manufacturers make changes to Certified aircraft at a much lower cost. So far I have not seen any relief or low cost changes being made?

There are 50 helicopter accidents every year.

Lord Leighton, Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Unfortunately, helicopters are under parts 27 and 29. The regulator won't get to those rules anytime soon. The regulator can't even ensure fuel cell safety standards against post crash fires. The same make and model between military and civilian standards are a night and day difference. The regulator continues to knuckle under to the manufacturer and lobbyist!!

5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I honestly don't understand all the opposition to cheap common sense, lobbyists or not, I don't care what Part the thing is flying under, they should all have them. Idyuts.

6. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

I'm sure Pep Boys would love the extra business for the same starters and alternators on cars would start going on airplanes.:rolleyes:

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

I have found a few by cheap owners that do maintenance illegally to save a few bucks. Then they want an annual inspection and get mad when the A&P finds an illegal part.

Starters and ALlternators are automotive in aircraft. They are inspected, assembled and aircraft hardware is used on them.

Recently high tech starters and alternators have been available under an STC for aircraft. They cost more are lighter use less electrical power and take up less space.

All it is is money!

BTW I have seen A&P mechanics busted by the FAA because they missed an automotive part that has not been approved.

Regulations can be crazy!