1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

The strangest things you've witnessed

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Jessi, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jessi

Jessi Hangar Bronze Member II

United States United States
    KennethHolland likes this.
  2. KennethHolland

KennethHolland Hangar Silver Member IV Staff Member

I have three Jessi...not sure they qualify as 'strange'.

1996....I'm waiting for a short connection flight from Montreal to Toronto on Air Canada. Plane 'breaks' (that's what they tell us). They don't cancel the flight....they taxi up an Air Canada Boeing 747 and all 60 of us hop on for our 45 minute flight to Toronto!

1998...waiting for a Southwest Flight from Burbank to Oakland on Halloween weekend. There's NO ONE there. Gate agent asks if i want to get on the earlier flight and I say ok. There are 12 people on the flight. We proceed to get free booze and have a food fight with the crew. :)

2 years ago, flying DFW to SNA and as we start our final descent I see another plane whip by us overhead. He missed us by no more than 1,000 feet :eek:

Ursula Kunz likes this.
  3. Erik Winter

Erik Winter Hangar Silver Member III

That is nothing new Kenneth, Air Canada (ACA/AC) still fly's Boeing B777's sometimes and a lot of Boeing B767's on the CYUL/YUL-CYYZ/YYZ and CYYZ/YYZ-CYUL/YUL routes to move the planes from there two large hubs. I'm sure that if Air Canada (ACA/AC) still had Boeing B747's they would still be flying those routes with them once or twice a month at the minimum.

4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    1000 feet is the normal vertical separation up through 41000 feet (FL410).

Lee Ferrara likes this.
  5. Erik Winter

Yeah I flew KBUF-KATL on a AirTran Boeing B717-200 once a few years back and we flew over a Boeing B737-800 of United Airlines and the (older) lady in front of us almost had a heart attack when see saw the B738 1 000ft under us, I a) never laughed so hard in my life and b) found it so cool to fly over a B738.

6. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    A red kite flying along side of my C152-or trying to.

Ursula Kunz and Lee Ferrara like this.
  7. melovesengland

melovesengland Hangar Associate Member III

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    I was flying domestic and its my first time to see stewardess that dances while instructing you the safety measure. It was nice and I had fun!

Ursula Kunz likes this.
  8. Erik Winter

If you say the same thing day-in and day-out you have to find someway to have fun no? :D

Ursula Kunz likes this.
  9. Jessi

I absolutely love when I'm lucky enough to have a flight attendant who has some fun with it. It's only happened to me twice, and the first time, I missed half of it because I always ignore the boring lecture....but then finally people started laughing enough that I took note.

Now I at least pay attention long enough to find out if they're going to be boring.

10. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

I was on an American 777 LAX-LHR, about nine months before 9/11. Before we boarded I noticed a man carrying a newspaper written in Hebrew walking around the boarding area looking rather agitated. I thought nothing of it at the time. Once we were airborne this man and his female traveling companion kept moving around the cabin to different seats. The flight attendants needed to make room for a woman traveling with an infant. The man refused to show his boarding pass (so the crew could determine where he really belonged) and he began yelling at the flight attendant. She fetched the crew supervisor. He tried to start the same thing with her, but she quickly cut him off. She told him, "Sir, you will show the crew your boarding pass, and you will return to your assigned seat." He started to interrupt. "We are through discussing this. If I hear one more word out of you, you will be arrested as soon as we land in London." He started to say that she couldn't prove that he had done anything. "I have a plane full of witnesses that I am sure would be happy to tell the London Police everything they have seen and heard." She got applause from those seated nearby. The guy moved, and I can only assume that he behaved himself for the rest of his flight, because no cops met us at the gate.

Second incident. Sunworld DC-9, LAS-OKC. A very rowdy and obviously drunk couple boarded in Las Vegas and sat a couple of rows behind me. They were yelling and liberally cursing. Under today's standards, this couple would have been kicked off the flight before we even left the gate, if they even made it onto the plane. After we became airborne, they started demanding drinks from the flight attendant. Although she was originally conflicted about serving them any more alcohol, she decided to - and good call. After a couple of shots they went down for the count, and they had to be awakened when we arrived in Oklahoma City.

Ursula Kunz likes this.
  11. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

The first time I flew Southwest Airlines, the crew decided to have some fun with the safety instructions. Discussing the oxygen masks, "Place the mask firmly over your nose and mouth, tighten the strap, and breathe like you have never breathed before." Going on: "In the event that this flight turns into a cruise, your seat cushion can be used as a flotation device."

People appreciated the levity they put into a normally mundane aspect of flying - one that experienced fliers often ignore or tune out.

Ursula Kunz and Lee Ferrara like this.
  12. Jessi

I love when they do things like that. I wish more flight attendants would be a little creative with their speeches. I bet they get sick of doing those over time, too, though. And they probably have to go through a bunch of hoops to get them approved, too.

13. Erik Winter

That is creepy.
    The advantage of extra drinks is that sometimes that happens and you have piece and quiet for the rest of the flight.
    Now I wish I would have been on that flight! :D
    Yes I agree with you.

14. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

Ursula Kunz and Orca17 like this.
  15. Ursula Kunz

Ursula Kunz Hangar Bronze Member II

Switzerland Switzerland
    On a homebound flight from London LHR to Zurich ZRH full speed on runway and suddenly full breaks. Just coming to a halt at the very last few meters. Taxying out and going back to wait in line again. After five long minutes the Captain explained with a trembling voice, that the tower had given start permission but there was another plane coming towards the same runway. It had missed us by seconds only. A few months later the same thing happened to Prime Minister Mrs. Thatcher in a small jet. The near-crash headlines went all over the world, but our incident with a fully booked DC9 was not even mentioned at all.

Sierra1 likes this.
  16. Ursula Kunz

Switzerland Switzerland
    On a homebound flight from London LHR to Zurich ZRH full speed on runway and suddenly full breaks. Just coming to a halt at the very last few meters. Taxying out and going back to wait in line again. After five long minutes the Captain explained with a trembling voice, that the tower had given start permission but there was another plane coming towards the same runway. It had missed us by seconds only. A few months later the same thing happened to Prime Minister Mrs. Thatcher in a small jet. The near-crash headlines went all over the world, but our incident with a fully booked DC9 was not even mentioned at all.

Edward Jeszka likes this.
  17. Sierra1

Sierra1 Hangar Bronze Member III

United Arab Emirates United Arab Emirates

Well you know as disgusting as it sounds, it is definitely true that "some people are MORE equal than others"

Orca17 and Ursula Kunz like this.
  18. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

Two come to mind:

I was working a MIA-LGA flight as a Gate Agent at Air Florida. This 737 had no bulkhead to the right as you step aboard. I had already pre-boarded an older New York gentleman with a cane into a front row seat. I then helped another older gentleman, also with a cane and as I tried to help him get seated, he began a heated argument with the other man and before I knew it, they were in a "sword" fight with their two canes!! It was so funny that I actually stepped back just to see it unfold before I stepped in to stop it!

On a night flight up to LGA on another Air Florida 737, I was working the flight as a F/A. It was time to collect all the drink money and close out the liquor kits. I found one F/A but could not find "Toni"! Well, Toni and the Captain were dating so I popped into the cockpit assuming that she'd be in there. We always kept the cabin lights down low and "off" near the cockpit door when going in there at night. I closed the cockpit door behind me and quickly realized that the cockpit was pitch black! The pilots had turned off all the lighting! I asked if Toni was up there and I hear her say "I'm right here", but "here" was in the Captain's LAP!

Sierra1 and Orca17 like this.
  19. Ursula Kunz

Switzerland Switzerland
    Advanced age and being disabled does not prevent us from doing silly things...haha

Orca17, syed haider zaidi and Sierra1 like this.
  20. syed haider zaidi

syed haider zaidi Hangar Bronze Member II

Pakistan Pakistan
    In B-747,I encountered very hard landing at Frankfurt in extremely Bad weather in winter days.Even at taxing we were not able to see the terminal.