1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

The American Airlines Super80 send off and final flight

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by Everett 757, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

United States United States
    Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  2. Everett 757

I sure liked the “mad dogs.” They were fun to fly on. I always enjoyed sitting in the very back of these jets and hearing those engines. :)

Lord Leighton, Kevin and Rotorruss like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

The Boeing 727-200 was the main stay when I used to first started flying for business on American. Then the Mad Dogs ruled the roost as they increased in numbers and the 727 was slowly phased out. I loved flying on those aircraft. Sit far enough forward in economy (company policy never let you fly First Class and I saved up my AAdvantage miles for vacations) and you felt like you were on a flying carpet as you almost silently lifted into the air. But better still sit in the next to last row of the cabin or the last row for a view of the engine nacelle and listen to those P&W JTD8's spool up plus that harmonic hum as you accelerated down the runway was exciting. I loved it. Gonna miss the Mad Dogs. I Know Delta still flies them and plans on retiring them next year. I want to make one last trip on one before they disappear.

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    In the headache row? Seriously?

Lord Leighton, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  5. Everett 757

N
    No, a couple or three rows ahead of the headache row.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  6. Kevin

The first time I flew in the "headache" seat was not by choice. But somehow found it fun. The next few times instead of looking a just the engine nacelle I would sit like two rows forward so at least I could have some kind of view . True it was noisy back there I remember the F/A's used to have to almost shout at you to ask you what you wanted. That's of course when they had true "Inflight meals."

7. Everett 757

Ah, yes. The days of real “Inflight meals.” :):cool:

Lord Leighton likes this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  9. Lord Leighton

Once, I got bumped to 1st class which seemed a world away from the suicide seats.

10. Lord Leighton

I remember lookin down with my nose to the glass for that thin slice of ground/water between the window and nacelle. My ears rang after

11. Kevin

In the early 90's when I was still flying around for Hertz as a corporate trainer (they limited you to doing that job for 2 years because they felt it could burn you out) I was paged to the ticket lift position at the gate and they told me the flight was oversold (they had already made that announcement but whenever that happens I could never take the compensation because I had to get to my next destination) and because of my AAdvantage status I'm being up graded to First Class. You mean I get to sit in those big overstuffed seats I walk past everytime I board. It was an MD-80 and when I boarded it was seat 2F I believe. I was taking off my suit jacket and the F/A asked me "May I take your jacket Mr. O'Gorman?" Whoa take my jacket put it in the overhead and know my name, how did she know that. Settled into my seat and then she asked me if I would like something to drink before departure. The flight was about 2 hours and even though it wasn't served in courses my meal was on real china with real glasses. That was the first time I flew First Class and I didn't miss the "headache" seat that day. Hertz had an agreement with American Airlines and Marriott that their employees get preference and vice-versa so it paid off this time. I flew a few more times in first class, with my TWA pilot buddy on the 747 and L1011 and on an America West 757 again oversold flight free upgrade but nothing was like that first time. My time spent with Northwest was always Economy maybe once on a DC-9 from LGA to DTW making a connection to SFO. Now they have those "cocoon" Business Class pods which are probably important on a 15 flight, But I'll take American's or TWA's big overstuffed seats any day. I know there is a company on the North Shore of Long Island that sells the old seats. My wife would never let me get one to put in the living room or den though.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 11:11 AM