1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Swiss Puts A220s Back in Service After Engine Forces Grounding

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Exuma Guy, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-airbus-a220-jets-after-finding-engine-faults

Deutsche Lufthansa AG’s Swiss airline is resuming flights with its fleet of Airbus SE A220 jets after grounding them Tuesday following a “serious” engine problem that forced a London-Geneva service to land in Paris.
    The carrier, the world’s biggest operator of the narrow-body aircraft, said it canceled about 100 flights in order to carry out inspections of the Pratt & Whitney engines. Some A220s have returned to the air following successful checks, and full operations are expected to resume on Thursday, Swiss said in a statement. The company canceled 19 flights on Wednesday.

The incident marked yet another headache for the airline, which has 29 of the new planes in its fleet. A July 25 Swiss flight from Geneva to London experienced engine failure after part of the turbine disintegrated over Paris, while one from Zurich to Dusseldorf had to turn around earlier the same month because of a turbine problem.

The engine, known as the geared turbofan, is also powering some of Airbus’s best-selling A320 family jets and has had a series of teething problems, including a 2014 failure when an engine caught fire during testing of the A220.

The jet was known as the Bombardier Inc. C Series until Airbus acquired control of the program from the Montreal-based company last year.

France’s safety authority, the Bureau d’Enquetes et d’Analyses, called the latest event concerning the Pratt engine “serious” and said an investigation has been turned over to the National Transport Safety Board in the U.S.

Swiss said it’s talking with regulators, Pratt and Airbus about the issues.

Pratt, a division of Farmington, Connecticut-based United Technologies Corp., recommended operators conduct additional inspections, though the engines “continue to meet all criteria for continued airworthiness,” it said in a statement.

In a separate statement, Airbus said the “precautionary measures” include “a once-off visual borescope inspection and engine low pressure compressor speed limitation.” The planemaker said it’s supporting customers as needed.

As of Sept. 30, Airbus had delivered 20 A220-300 models to Swiss, as well as nine of the smaller A220-100 variants, with 90 jets delivered to customers including Air Baltic, Delta Air Lines Inc. and Korean Air Lines Co..

Another variant of Pratt’s geared turbofan that needs to undergo the inspection is used on the Embraer SA E195-E2, the first of which was just delivered last month to Azul and AerCap.

Delta will “always meet or exceed safety, inspection and maintenance recommendations from manufacturers” and regulators, the airline said via email. Air Baltic said it continues to operate its A220 fleet while remaining in close contact with Pratt and Airbus while it performs the necessary inspections.

2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

United States United States
    Interesting!

Lord Leighton likes this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Yeah, with Swiss Air they've all been inspected and returned to service. Dunno about AirBaltic's or Delta's. I'd fly on one in a heart beat.

4. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

Despite the "teething" problems with the P&W's turbofans I'd love to fly one the new 220. I would probably have to do one of my trips to nowhere that I did as a kid flying to a destination and back again just to fly on certain aircraft I wanted to experience. Definitely would be fun. All of the Swiss fleet has been inspected and knowing Delta I'm sure there doing the same thing. Looks like a great plane I'm sure it will be fine once the "break-in" period is over.

5. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    Here's the funny thing- Early in the GTF program, the nay-sayers expressed doubt about the service life of the gearboxes. Down the road to actual in-service use, and the gearboxes are the only parts not exploding....

6. Lord Leighton

Must be Ford 'Top Loaders'.

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  7. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    Ford just announced a huge program for electric vehicle charging stations.
    US auto-makers are 2 years into a 5 year plan for going mostly EV.
    The unions haven't got a clue as witnessed in GM's latest contract offering.
    Enjoy your internal combustion hot-rod while you can.... :D

Kevin, Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

I'll just use clothe pins and a deck of playin cards on the wheels. :cool: It'll take lotsa coal to power the charging stations too. Just think, instead of roll cages they'll use Faraday cages. :rolleyes:

Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I'm on this Vintage American Land Yacht kick. I'm shopping around for a 70's era Chrysler Cordoba or Dodge Charger so I can feel like 18 again. I guess my time is limited on how much longer these things will be viable. The funny thing is I found the exact 1977 Chrysler Cordoba I had back in 77 on sale in of all places the Netherlands. How the heck at those petrol prices can somebody own that thing that got 10-12 mpg? I'll just keep looking......

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  10. Lord Leighton

Many stolen US cars back then(including 2 of mine) ended up overseas and not just Europe. I watched a show the other night about how these high tech thieves steal High buck cars and they end up in Nigeria of all places. No Corinthian leather for you?

Everett 757 likes this.