1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Southwest, LAS-RNO-LAS

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Orca17, May 25, 2014.

1. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

United States United States
    Took a trip last Tuesday-Thursday on state business, a series of meetings in Carson City and tours of several correctional facilities. I hadn't flown in a while, so it had been a while since I had dealt with our dear friends at the TSA. Even though I arrived at the airport at 5:30 AM for a 7:30 departure, I was still in line for 45 minutes plus before I cleared security. Apparently that is a popular departure time out of LAS for Southwest and several other carriers. I checked my bag even though it was probably small enough to carry on, after reading about the various whims of TSA personnel regarding what you can and cannot carry on board and how it seems to vary depending upon who is screening your bag. I didn't want them opening my bag and making me throw innocuous things away before I boarded. Going through security in Reno was much faster and easier, especially since my boarding pass was stamped for pre-boarding screening, which put me in the short line.

The flight up was uneventful. One of my colleagues is terrified of flying, and even light chop, which is going to happen along this route, had her very tense. According to her she was aboard a plane once that dropped about 500 feet in severe turbulence, and ever since then she has been waiting for "the big one" every time she has flown. I was wondering what we were in for, since the pilot mentioned twice that it was going to be "bumpy" descending into Reno, and he asked the flight attendants to strap in at what seemed to me to be an earlier point in the approach than normal. However, the approach and the landing were no big deal, despite the rain in Reno on touchdown.

Flying back was a bit choppier, due to extensive cloud cover over most of Nevada along the route home. Even so, nothing severe, but severe enough for my colleague.

Southwest has changed things up a bit since I last flew with them. My last flight with them predated online check-in, which is a nice convenience. The cabin crew still have fun with the passengers and the safety briefing, which I enjoy. I didn't have the extremely funny flight attendant whose YouTube video went viral and led to her appearance on Ellen DeGeneres' show, but these people were clearly having a good time.

I had made the same trip by car the previous weekend to attend my stepdaughter's graduation from the University of Nevada Reno, and to bring her belongings back. It reminded me how much easier it is to spend an hour in the air than almost eight hours on the ground making the same trip. It was also nice that the state picked up the tab.

A photo taken at the Reno airport. The aircraft in the picture is not mine; this one was at an adjacent gate. The aircraft I departed on was late arriving from Seattle, and Southwest did one of their patented quick turnarounds.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  2. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Nice story,its always good to hear of the crew having a laugh with the pax.:)