1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!
  2. Attention Video and Photo Posters: We are testing a new feature: 'Top Video/Photo' of the Day. We will 'sticky' a great video or photo each day (or so) and it will display at the top of the submissions. So post great stuff!

Sleep deprived? Try this on for sighs: WWWings

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lord Leighton, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

We us to each take cat naps at 2AM in the morning.....it works and of course it is against the regs.......but so is crashing an aircraft.....It’s a problem that has plagued aviation since the early days. Many a good pilot just fell asleep and got killed.........?

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Yeah, TWO pilots overshooting Minneapolis/St. Paul by 160 miles with 200 on board won't work either.

Everett 757 likes this.
  4. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Yes that happens too.....there are stories of single pilots failing asleep and waking up when the engine quit from fuel exhaustion......

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

Have to try that on my next transcon or if I'm lucky enough international flights. I can fall asleep on a plane but generally not a deep sleep. I can hear ambient noise such as the cabin chimes. engine noise, a/c vents air noise etc. Somehow the clicking noise on the F/A's opening a compartment on the beverage cart will wake me up. I was still with NW before being a victim of the NW/DL merger at the time of the wayward flight into MSP. The pilots claimed they were working next month's crew scheduling on their laptops and didn't hear ATC calls or a text from NW ops. And were distracted. I don't know if it ever made the news but within the company the F/A's became concerned when the flight something seemed wrong and tried to contact the cockpit by intercom as well as knocking on the cockpit door. The feeling inside NW they were both settled in for a long winters nap. Could have been a lot worse. Both lost their licenses.