1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Single engine plane crash kills 9

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Richard Wyeroski, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    A Pilatus PC-12
    single engine plane has crashed with 12 passengers aboard. Nine were killed including 2 children.

A winter weather warning was in effect at the time. The NTSB is looking at weather as a factor. The other three passengers are in the hospital in critical condition!

This is another terrible crash that seems to keep happening over and over again. All I can say is why is it absolutely nothing can be done?..........WHY???

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE
    https://www.wxii12.com/article/9-killed-in-south-dakota-plane-crash-including-2-children/30063317

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  2. Richard Wyeroski

The Pilatus PC-12 is a single engine turbo prop. I don’t remember it being able to seat 12? The weather was bad and being heavy with passengers and baggage will be a factor in the crash!

Aircraft Specifications
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pilatus_PC-12

52B85328-FE89-440A-B35C-6D6FEADDC4D0.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2019
  3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

Without knowing the exact weather conditions and the pilot's qualifications it would be unfair for me to place blame on any one factor here. However, that being said even though the Pilatus PC-12 seems to be a robust single engine well equipped aircraft it appears according to the specs I read the plane is equipped for a maximum of 9 passengers and while equipped with anti ice equipment I question whether someone had "Get there itis" and overloaded the aircraft possibly having the children sit as lap children since the age of the victims are not mentioned in the report. Also while being a well equipped aircraft the weather conditions mentioned seemed that someone might have a lapse in judgment or their own ability to fly in the existing conditions that even a pilot of a multi engine or larger aircraft would not have attempted to fly in. Sounds like another accident that didn't have to happen. Again I hate writing this, but my heart and condolences go out to the victims and their families and my prayers for the survivors.

4. Biggles

Biggles Hangar Bronze Member III

From what I've seen of the PC12, it is such a capable aircraft that I can imagine it might give pilots, even ones with many hours, a feeling of invulnerability that would tempt them to fly into conditions more extreme than they or the aircraft could ultimately handle. It is made sadder by the number of deaths of those putting their trust in the airplane and pilot(s).

Lord Leighton likes this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

:( It's obvious that the weather played a big role as well as being overloaded and 'Get homeitis' imho. RIP.

Biggles and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  6. Richard Wyeroski

The risk management boys know that as long as there are 1200 accidents and 5-700 people killed all is okay. That is the accident rate and again as long as it does not go up all will be okay!

Actually the accident rate is going up. It’s going up a lot because operations have gone down!

So if operations go down and the usual accidents keep happening then the accident rate is up

Sounds crazy but it is easy to hide a drop off in movements......just don’t report it!o_O

I could attest that the FAA covers up accidents and reports them as incidents. It was routine when I was in the FSDO. I was harassed by management to do their bidding. Anyone that refused would eventually be forced out of the agency.

If They ever have hearings as to why the FAA is not effective any longer, I would be glad to testify before any Congressional hearing.......

Biggles likes this.
  7. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    The PC-12 has data collection capability. Hopefully the data wasn't destroyed.

Biggles likes this.
  8. Richard Wyeroski

Unfortunately it looks like pilot error with an overloaded aircraft and weather!

Since accidents statistics show the 75% of all accidents are pilot error!

A sad statistic that has not changed for years!

Biggles likes this.