1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Severe turbulence slams fight attendant into plane ceiling

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Everett 757, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

United States United States
    A violent jolt slammed a flight attendant into an airplane’s ceiling, sent drinks flying and drenched passengers in scalding water as an ALK Boeing 737 hit turbulence over France.

Passenger Mirjeta Basha caught video of the jarring incident that took place on the Bulgarian charter airline.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/wo...0190618-atcq3gvxjjf37iinelsyh4povq-story.html

Rotorruss, Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  2. Everett 757

3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

In all my hours logged as a passenger fortunately only had this happen once. It was back in the 90's when I was a Training Manger for Hertz and traveled frequently. It was on an American Airlines Boeing 727-200 from LGA-DFW then I was making connection to OKC. The flight was completely uneventful in fact a look at the window showed blue skies and an one of those smooth rides that make you feel like your sitting in your living room. We were at cruise as far as I could tell at that point of the flight and then BAM. It happened so fast all I remember is my body wanted to leave it's seat and travel upwards but my seat belt prevented that. My meal service tray which was already completed left its perch on the tray table and slammed into the PSU in the overhead and down again all over me.
    Since meal service was pretty much done only one of the Galley Service Carts where still in the aisle.. The two F/A's in the aisle that were still serving beverages I saw one grab the overhead compartments while the other while not hitting the cabin ceiling did leave the floor and fell into a row of seats on top of passengers. Then I heard the "Fasten Seat Belt" chime and light come on. Clear air turbulence. There was screaming and the cabin looked like a hurricane had passed through it with cabin service items and newspapers and whatever wasn't fastened down covered passengers, the floor the walls wherever. Fortunately the Galley Service Cart stayed standing up in the aisle and the overhead compartments latched and closed. The Captain came on the PA and apologized saying that we must have hit CAT not detectable on the aircraft's weather radar. We were advised to keep our seat belts fastened and (pre 9/11) the S/O came into the cabin to assess the situation. Fortunately the F/A who did fly up and fall in a seat row on top of passengers didn't seem injured. I honestly couldn't tell you if any passengers left their seats and were injured, I know everyone does not wear their seat belts like I did even with the sign off. Fortunately also no one was in or going to or from the aft LAV's. I couldn't tell the condition of the First Class Cabin. All I know while all my logic kicked in is it scared the hell out of me and made me feel like my lower body organs had tried to leave my body. Me, safe and nothing some dry cleaning wouldn't take care off. The middle seat next to me was empty but the guy sitting in the aisle seat just stared straight ahead not saying a word. He too had his seat belt on and his service tray was already removed.

Then the Captain said out of an abundance of caution we where going to make a diversion to Louisville so the aircraft could be inspected for damage and I guess there were some injured people so they could receive medical attention. We landed at SDF with emergency vehicles following us but we did finally taxi to a gate and deplaned via the Jetway after the EMS people did their thing.

That was the one I remember. There have been many flights that were choppy, bumpy and sometimes almost terrifying with turbulence but never anything like that. The remainder of the flight was smooth and uneventful again all the way to landing. Wouldn't want to experience that again though. One thing I do remember that seemed surreal is when we landed one of the Flight Attendants got on the PA and said "Welcome to Louisville Ladies and Gentleman the local time is 211PM. Please remain seated with your seat belts fastened until we receive further instructions from our Captain." I guess true professionalism.

4. Everett 757

Wow! :eek: What an experience! Thanks Kevin for sharing this.

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    I'll say it again- When I see these incidents, I'm thinking the pilots weren't paying attention to the weather...