1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Say hello to my little friend!

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Exuma Guy, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    I'm on holiday because I ran out of flight hours, so Wifey and I took a motorbike ride up into the mountains for a few days. The temps at the higher elevations are quite a pleasant change from the city. We had to wear jackets when riding. Also different from the city is the much better air quality. With the cooler temps, it is easy to forget about the sun, but this is the tropics after all, and tropical sunshine in the clear air burned us in minutes! Talking lobsters!

We spent lunch at a BBQ restaurant named for Elvis in the middle of nowhere. Classic American country music was playing, songs that I haven't heard in years. I got to playing horse shoes with the owner. He's an Aussie and not too good, but his friend was American and played decent. I threw a few shoes without doing any better, but when they wanted to wager a little, danged if I didn't get lucky as heck!

After lunch, we rode up to a very high mountain top. At the summit of the peak, we had spectacular views of the valleys all around us. This is were I chanced to meet six of the best glider pilots ever! I never would have imagined! This was truly a dream come true. The ground crews gave me some pointers about handling, and then I launched and recovered one of my new friends! Watching him ride the air currents is a spiritual moment. Truly like no other. My new friend did touch and goes to spot landings on that mountain top for over an hour. Serendipitous coincidences indeed! Here's some pics-
    IMG_0384 - Copy copy.jpg IMG_0371 - Copy copy.jpg IMG_0393 copy.jpg IMG_0387 - Copy copy.jpg

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Truly awesome, thanks for the pictures.

3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Great Awesome pics! I love to watch birds soar for hours. Haven't had the privilege of seein such a regal bird like that too often though! An Icon A-5 ain't a glider, but in my situation, Physically and financially, See why I want one so much? My Bro is glider rated although not current if that is even needed, but those skills never left him as he shows in his IFR currency in his Piper Archer all the time. I went up with him in a glider decades ago and was amazed! I understand yer point big time EG! Btw, I tan very well for a Scottish ancestry Red head. Blonde in the summer. Many years of practice! ;)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

EG, thanks for sharing your experience! Wow, those are cool pictures! Thanks for posting them.

5. AeroDon

AeroDon Administrator

Wow...great pictures !!