1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!
  2. Attention Video and Photo Posters: We are testing a new feature: 'Top Video/Photo' of the Day. We will 'sticky' a great video or photo each day (or so) and it will display at the top of the submissions. So post great stuff!

Run out of fuel much!?

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lord Leighton, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    There is new dashcam video that shows the plane in a spiral.
    It also shows the older style tip tanks which are surprisingly crashworthy.
    The mayday call transcript has not been released.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

A fatal stall spin of a medium twin? The pilot lost control ?

Fuel exhaustion a probable cause. Sad!

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

And another one...:(

Lord Leighton likes this.
  5. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Flying piston twins require extensive pilot training. Currency and proficiency are very important.

Lose an engine in a twin and it can quickly become fatal.

I remember a pilot that I was going to do a Flight Review in his aircraft. Before the flight the pilot told me he did not want me to fail any engines and he did not need to do any stalls. I canceled that flight because twins require a more extensive review in those areas. The owner was stubborn or maybe afraid ?

It is important to know that if a pilot loses an engine at take off at gross weight and the temperature at the surface is above standard, the aircraft will not climb! (59 degrees F, 15 degrees C ) An example would be at 80 degrees the remaining engine will not be capable of maintaine altitude. Add in above sea level and this will severely compromise the flight, unless the pilot maintains control by reducing the power on the good engine and landing straight ahead!

Lose a turbo at altitude and the engine will shut down and the aircraft will descend or drift down to it single engine service ceiling. If the terrain below is higher then the aircraft will crash!

It is imperative a mult-engine pilot be aware of the shortcoming and limitations of his aircraft.

One would wonder how the FAA could certify a twin engine piston aircraft with these short comings

When I was at the FAA academy and training was conducted in New Beach Baron aircraft we were careful to keep aircraft take off weight well below gross weight for safety during hot weather operations

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.