1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Review of connecting flights

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by peterpan123, Apr 15, 2016.

1. peterpan123

peterpan123 New Hangar Member

Bulgaria Bulgaria
    Hi Everyone,

I've had various experiences with connecting flight journeys over my life and realized that there is no systematic source of information available on the web. That's why I created www.connectionreview.com - to help passengers find all relevant information regarding connecting flight journeys pertaining to particular airlines. Whoever feels like contributing with a review of a recent trip, would be great...I would love also to hear here some feedback on the idea...some people say that connecting flights problems are not a point of interest for the majority of travelers, as fares is what matters most!

Art Troutman393 likes this.
  2. Art Troutman393

Art Troutman393 Hangar Bronze Member V

United States United States
    Living in a semi-rural region - we are lucky to have commuter service out of SBP [San Luis Obispo CA] to SFO, LAX, & PHX - with SEA coming next year. My point being - that for those like us - every trip beyond those - involves at least one COP [Change-of-Plane] - and sometimes also a COA [Change-Of-Airline]. Now COP's are usually relatively easy, since it's usually to the 'mother' airline - and consequently within the same terminal. However - some large airports have a separate 'commuter' terminal and/or an airline may have gates in a separate 'international' terminal. An example of a large separate commuter terminal is SLC - where a long hike is involved (unless one is connecting with another commuter flight) - even if the change is to a 'mother' flight.

But the fun begins with COA connections. Unless your 'new' airline shares the same terminal with your 'mother' airline - otherwise, a long hike may be involved. Prior to the advent of shuttle buses at LAX - really long hikes were likely. I've even hailed a taxi, more than once, to change terminals at LAX. That includes the same airline - when a change involved going to/from the Bradley International Terminal. SFO isn't too bad - because the terminals are not that far apart. On the other hand - PHX takes the cake! We prefer that airport, for a number of reasons - one of them being that it was the home of our favorite airline, AmericaWest. But that got watered down when they got gobbled up by US Air - and was further diluted when they got gobbled up by American. Even so - we still prefer going through PHX. And it's still the same terminal [#4] for the [now] same [AA] family. That's the Good News. The Bad News is - T4 stretches halfway across Phoenix - with 8 'fingers'! Even with having provided ample time for gate changes - if your change is 7 fingers apart - that can take half a day - even with 'moving sidewalks' [and forget a meal]. But the prizewinner has to be JFK - at least before the advent of rapid-transit trains.

To the credit of some airlines - steps have been taken to minimize the 'connection' hassle. For example, the United terminal complex at LAX is fairly compact. That's in contrast to the AA terminal at DFW - that
    is strung out for a mile or so. As airports have expanded - to meet their increasing demands - it is impossible to retain some of the niceties from earlier times. That includes conveniences for connecting passengers.

Lord Leighton likes this.