1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Planespotter’s Bucket List: A Day at Maho Beach, St. Martin (SXM)

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by vegli, Aug 13, 2014.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    [​IMG]
    Air Caraibes Airbus A330 over the bay, about to land – Photo: Bernie Leighton | AirlineReporter

My fiancee and I, chatting earlier this year while I was at my computer:

“Hey sweetie, did you realize our honeymoon cruise stops for a day at St. Martin?”

“Um, I think so, yea…”

“Did you know that is where they have the beach with the planes that just about land on your head?”

“Like the videos and pictures you showed me? Wow! That’s awesome! Sounds like we should spend that day there at that beach, you think?”

“Oh man, I am SO marrying the right woman!”

[​IMG]
    The author standing directly below a Boeing 737 about to land – Photo: Julian Cordle

When I tell people I’m into aviation, my (now) wife likes to describe me to others as “like the super-excited train guy, but with planes”. Tongue-in-cheek, of course. In any case, once we made plans to visit world-famous Maho Beach on St. Martin, she listened to me tell her many times “I can’t believe I get to actually BE THERE” while I was browsing the many stunning photos online.

[​IMG]
    A United Airlines Airbus A320 lands – Photo: Bernie Leighton | AirlineReporter

Fast forward to our day on the beach in Sint Maarten, which is on the Dutch side of the island of St. Martin (the other side being French).

The first thing you notice about Maho Beach is just how small it is. Near the busy southern end of the beach at the Sunset Bar and Grill, there’s just a few dozen feet or so of sand at a relatively sharp downward angle that separates the beautiful blue/green surf from Beacon Hill Road. The roadway is tiny, with barely enough room for one small/medium vehicle in each direction.

After that, it’s a chain link fence and BAM – there’s the pre-threshold area of runway 10 of Princess Juliana International Airport (SXM).

We were fortunate enough to arrive around 9:30am via taxi, about an hour or so before the crowds started to develop. This gave us ample time to scope out the area, rent a few lounge chairs and umbrellas ($20) and check out the flight schedule posted at the Sunset B&G.

I also had the chance to chat with a few locals, who gave me some interesting tips about the operations of the aircraft and pilots. More on that later.

[​IMG]

More...
    http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/08/planespotters-bucket-list-day-maho-beach-st-martin-sxm/

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Sounds like a "blast" to me. I wanna see how far out a wind surfer can get thrusted from the beach lol. Any eye doctors out there wanna start a biz with me next to the beach? ;)

Dez Rosswess and David Barnshaw like this.
  3. Dez Rosswess

Dez Rosswess Hangar Bronze Member I

Netherlands Netherlands
    I'm going there next month, one of my challenges is to film a take off from a boat there, should be fun.

vegli and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

You should concoct a new tropical drink or shots called "Maho Beach Blasts" tastes like a mixture of Cinnamon, Jet A and takes yer breath away. (using Absynthe in it will do that). Too many and you'll go blind and yer ears will come off, lol.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
    Dez Rosswess likes this.