1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

'Pilots are losing their basic flying skills,' some fear after Boeing 737 Max crashes: Flight Aware

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Lord Leighton, May 31, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Rotorruss, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

The truth is as any of us become more reliant on automation our "manual" analog skills get rusty. All pilots are taught the basics when they first learn to fly. The key is to keep those skills current even with the automation. This is my concern with cars today that have collision avoidance systems, lane departure control, adaptive cruise control, will make drivers more complacent and less vigilant as I was taught in Driver's Ed. My car has some of these features and while it makes me feel safer I am still vigilant because I would rather not put the vehicle in a situation where the automation has to kick in. I read once that a major concern of the early jets like the Boeing 707 and DC-8 were pilots would be complacent or even fall asleep because of the smoothness of the flight longer flight times and the fact that they didn't have to worry about radial engine adjustments etc. I forget what airline it might have been American asked Boeing to program the plane to routinely have the pilots run an automated "checklist" during flight to keep their situational awareness in check.

My suggestion is a mixture of both. Yes automation is great and of course makes the flight safer and above all cuts fuel burn and more importantly for the airline saves money but you can develop a program where just like the old Boeing automated check list for the 707 the pilots are forced to use manual skills to not only for emergency situations but for routine flying.

If Boeing is still going to use computer based training for the software updates this is a big mistake. I don't think anyone would feel safe including the pilots unless they experience the changes in a simulator. It may not be real world but better than sitting on your sofa with an IPAD.

Again talking about getting rusty at non automated skills I had my own experience last night when the Hertz Computer System suffered a Global failure and we had to hand write rental agreements. Back in 1979 when I had my first round of employment with Hertz we had a very limited computer system that only let you view the reservation details but you had to hand write the contract. Only AVIS had the "Wizard of Avis" which was basically an IBM selectric typewriter linked to its IBM 360 mainframe where agents could actually print out and fill in the customers information much quicker than we could. While my two employees stared at blank screens I told them we would have to use manual contracts which struck terror into their hearts and took them forever to fill out (lots of customer complaints coming soon) I could fill out the contract faster which really hasn't changed much since 1979 but stilled missed some critical information like driver's license expiration dates and filling in rates
    so yes I got rusty on using my analog skills. Don't even want to mention what the two rental agents contracts looked like.

3. Lord Leighton

That Hertz a lot. Now gimme a Shelby GT350 H and now we're talkin!

Rotorruss, Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

We still rent them at certain high profile airport locations. I remember my father rented one when Hertz first started renting them when I was kid. He rented it at LaGuardia and we drove around Long Island all weekend in it. You should have seen the looks we got and the questions we got asked about it. He was still talking about it 45 years later.

5. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Well said Kevin. I don’t like all the automation either. These things can, and do fail at times. One example is of that Tesla slamming into the side of that truck and killing the occupant. I have noticed working with the younger generation that they rely so much every day on apps, and automation, that when it goes down they’re totally at a loss what to do next. I’m thankful that I still do most things the old fashioned way, by actually using my hands and brain to figure out the next step in whatever project I’m working on. I don’t see any good long term benefits of total automation.

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  6. Lord Leighton

Yup, $17.00 a day.

Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  7. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Just another GA congressman spouting his 15 minutes of double speak

Everett 757 and Kevin like this.