1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Oslo to London Gatwick on the Norwegian Boeing 787 Dreamliner

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by charlest103, Aug 13, 2013.

1. charlest103

charlest103 Hangar Associate Member V

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Before I begin, sorry for the lack of photos as I wasn't planning on doing this at the time. Check out my Full Flight video posted at the end though!

A few months back, Norwegian announced they would be operating flights within Europe on their Boeing 787 Dreamliner from Oslo, before putting the aircraft on long haul routes. With fares of around £35 for a flight from Oslo to Gatwick, this was an opportunity I couldn't miss! I decided to go on a day trip to Oslo.

Having caught the 05:50 flight from London Gatwick to Oslo, I had plenty of time to visit the city before my 18:10 flight back home. The weather was perfect, very warm and sunny. For those who haven't visited Oslo, I found it to be a very compact city, with most of the main attractions within close proximity to one another.

Here are a few photos:

Oslo Opera House
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Oslo National Theatre
    [​IMG]
    Grand Hotel
    [​IMG]
    Akershus Fortress
    [​IMG]

Soon it was time to head back to the airport and catch my flight on the 787. Once at the airport I printed my boarding pass using one of the many self-service kiosks, then headed through security. This didn't take too long and I was soon in the departure lounge.

Boarding pass
    [​IMG]

My flight was departing from Gate 59, which required me to pass through passport control. There was an extremely long queue for this and it took half an hour before I could pass through to the gate area. Thankfully I was in no rush and this wasn't really a problem.

Flight Details
    Date: 1st August 2013
    Flight: DY1310
    To: London Gatwick (LGW/ EGKK)
    Dep: 18:10
    Arr: 19:30
    Aircraft: Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner
    Reg: EI-LNA
    Seat: 10J

It wasn't long before boarding began and I made my way down the jet-bridge and onto the 787. The first thing that strikes you when entering the 787 is just how light and airy the plane feels. The difference in window size is very noticeable.
    [​IMG]

The seats were quite comfortable and there was sufficient legroom.
    [​IMG]

The flight was fairly full, though there were quite a few empty seats around, with the two seats next to me remaining empty.

The view from seat 10J. It had a perfectly placed window.
    [​IMG]

It took a while for boarding to be completed, but soon we pushed back and the engines were started. This really wasn't very noticeable at all and throughout the taxi to Runway 19L, the air conditioning made more noise than the engines. Having heard about how quiet the 787 is, I was interested to find out for myself how quiet it really was.

We soon lined up on the runway and after a few minutes the engines spooled up to take off power.

Lining up on Runway 19L
    [​IMG]

After a swift take off roll we were airborne. Compared to the Boeing 737 I had flown to Oslo earlier that day, the 787 really was much quieter.

Shortly after take off
    [​IMG]

I spent most of the flight playing around with the IFE and dimming the window. At its darkest setting, with the sun shining directly on the window, it still lets quite a bit of light through which could be a pain if you are trying to sleep I guess.

Window dimmed, not on its darkest setting
    [​IMG]

As for the IFE, there was an adequate amount of films and music. I particularly liked the 'cockpit view' on the interactive map, which showed our heading, altitude and speed.
    [​IMG]

After cruising at FL430 (the highest I've ever been), it was time for a gradual descent into Gatwick.
    [​IMG]

During the descent the mood lighting cycled through different colours which was pretty cool.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The views you get from the larger windows really are great!
    We were soon lining up for the approach and my flight on the 787 was coming to an end.
    [​IMG]

The landing at Gatwick was very smooth and we taxied to our stand at the South Terminal.
    [​IMG]

To conclude my first flight on the 787, I visited the cockpit before disembarking.
    [​IMG]

The 787 really is an amazing aircraft and it is such a shame it has had so many problems. The larger windows, lower cabin altitude, fresher cabin air and the lower noise levels really make this an awesome plane from a passenger perspective!

Thanks for reading :)

Please check out my video from this flight!!

2. Lee Ferrara

Lee Ferrara Administrator Staff Member

United States United States
    Awesome post! Great pics and video! Thanks for submitting and we'll promote this today for sure. :)

Lord Leighton likes this.
  3. FlyerKing17

FlyerKing17 Administrator

Canada Canada
    Jealous!! :) Nice!!!!

4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Great story and vids! Thankyou!

Lee Ferrara likes this.
  5. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Thanks for sharing your experience on the 787 Dreamliner. I have also been on a Dreamliner flight, and my impressions were very similar to yours. The pictures you took are great! :)

Lee Ferrara and Lord Leighton like this.
  6. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

43,000ft? Wow!

Lee Ferrara likes this.
  7. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

Very nice! What mach speed did you cruise at? Nice cockpit with huge screens!

From the audio of the video that you took, I'd have to say that my flight on an A-380 was even quieter in the cabin as far as wind noise, slipstream, etc.

Lee Ferrara likes this.
  8. Eric E.

Eric E. New Hangar Member

So, to your point on how quiet the 787 is. I work in downtown San Jose (CA) which is on the final approach path to SJC, and there's a 5x week regularly scheduled ANA flight that comes in from NRT (usually around 11am-12 or so). When you're and it passes overhead it's eerily quiet, I'd almost say about half of what a Longhorn 737 sounds like. When I'm actually in my office, it's nearly impossible to hear. You just get this large shadow that moves across the ground outside and passes overhead.

Everett 757 and Lee Ferrara like this.
  9. charlest103

charlest103 Hangar Associate Member V

Thanks! We cruised at about 465 knots, not sure what mach speed that would be. As I haven't yet flown on the A380 yet I cant compare them, but i'm sure it is even quieter.

Lee Ferrara likes this.
  10. Gary737

Gary737 Hangar Silver Member II

Yeah, I noticed in the video that I never heard the engine power being reduced as they landed......... I truly hope that the 787 gets squared away and is a complete success. If so, the 787 will set the trend for new airliner designs in the future. In the cockpit shot, I noticed that the F/O has his HUD pulled down. Those are used during extremely low visibilty take offs and landings.

Lee Ferrara likes this.
  11. Terry Harding

Terry Harding Guest

Great photo's of Oslo and very interesting video but I still wouldn't fly long distance on the 787 until all the problems are ironed out.

12. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

Terrific post with a lot of great pictures. Glad that you had a great trip. That said, you're braver than I am. It will be at least 4-5 years before I set foot on a 787. Curious about the Irish registration on a Norwegian airliner.