1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

One of these days....

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Rotorruss, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member I

United States United States
  2. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Couple of points to ponder....
    1) Look at most of the designs being shown for passenger carrying drones, especially the ones with only 1 motor in each of 4 corners. What happens if a motor or it's controller fails? Death....
    2) What happens in the rain? GPS signals can be blocked by heavy precipitation. Heavy Precipitation also degrades the propeller performance of the rather small props that are turning high rpm's. Look on Youtube for drones flying in the rain- Not many there because water inevitably gets into the electronics and bye-bye drone.
    3) Thieves already steal parcels off porches. It won't be long before they start downing drones to steal the parcels.
    4) Battery technology for most drones is realistically 30 minutes at the most if carrying weights such as people or heavy parcels. Drones typically fly at 40 knots most. That puts an effective range at about 10 miles (out and back). This might work in a big city but not in a rural place.
    5) When these practicalities are eventually encountered, the initial good media coverage of the 'gee whiz' new technology will turn quickly to bad publicity for the companies involved.
    6) Did anyone mention the airspace conflicts yet? Or the fact that obstacles such as power lines and trees aren't charted very well and therefore are not in navigation databases?

3. Rotorruss

4. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

If drones are approve, then the accident rate will govern whether or not they will continue.

Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.
  5. Rotorruss

... especially if they take out a manned aircraft or civilian on the ground! Grounding there will be??

Everett 757 and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  6. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

We know they will. The first law suites will be in the news big time as a drone hit's little Johnny in the back of the head on his bicycle;)

Everett 757 likes this.