1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Now what??

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Rotorruss, Sep 6, 2019.

1. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

United States United States
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Yes, it sure was a good thing it was only a test. :eek::eek:

Rotorruss, Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

A lot of set backs on this model. Was it designed in the states or did management try and save money and send it overseas?

4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the new design was only the wings and engines. I thought the fuselage would remain aluminum.
    If I'm correct, then the cargo door design hasn't changed which worries me because that design is in service.

5. Richard Wyeroski

Maybe something went wrong with the test and they exceeded limitations?

6. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Sounds like the first few DC-10s.

Rotorruss, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  7. Everett 757

I remember about those DC-10 cargo doors.

Rotorruss, Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Yeah, they weren't sealed from the inside to out. Askin for trouble there. Looks like they're gonna need to beef up the door frames on the 777X. The more the outward pressure, the harder they seal without failing.

9. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

The first thing that came to mind for me was the DC-10 rear cargo door. But that was a new aircraft and design. Convair designed the rear cargo door for the DC-10 which since it wasn't plug type door had to meet stringent FAA specifications. (Which they probably did back then) Convair had designed the door with more latches and a hydraulic system to power it. In a request by American Airlines to simplify maintenance Douglas reduced the number of latches and made it an electrically powered door. Convair warned them that could lead to a failure and sure enough it did.

So was the cargo door of the 777 changed from previous versions and this could be a possible design error or just a manufacturing fluke that can be detected and easily corrected. The endless problems at Boeing this is one of the last things they need.

10. Rotorruss

11. Kevin

Ironic thing about the DC-10. The redesigned rear cargo door with its electric motors and modified latches, just in the case of the B777 did fail in a static test in 1970 just like Convair predicted blowing out the cargo door and collapsing the cabin floor. Although there was some redesign to meet FAA regulations, the new door passed the test and met the approval requirements. However as history will tell us this new design was not robust enough to meet service use and human error. I'm still wondering what caused the 777 failure.

12. Rotorruss

Lord Leighton, Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  13. Kevin

LL why so cynical? Just because he is a former Delta Airlines exec what would possibly motivate him to push the approval on the MAX returning to service. It isn't like the airlines (except his old one) are losing money over the MAX mess. I don't think Boeing has got it's stuff together yet and aren't confident enough in their fix to present it to the FAA for approval. I suspect there is a lot of s--t they found out was wrong while searching for the fix. One thing is I don't really think the FAA is going to shoot themselves in the head on this one just to have another plane go down. Even if they do other countries that have this aircraft in service aren't going to accept the FAA certification anyway since they lost all credibility around the world. They will do there own testing.
    The fourth quarter is of this year is pretty hopeful. If there is a fix presented and approved by the FAA this year I don't see the MAX back in full service worldwide probably until the second quarter of 2020.

14. Everett 757

I think you meant to refer to the previous post, which was Rotorruss, not LL. I’m not trying to be picky. ;)

Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  15. Kevin

My apologies Rotoruss and thank you for pointing that out to me Everett. In an attempt to cut back on coffee as advised by my doctor I guess I didn't identify correctly who made the post. BTW the cutback on caffeine intake from someone who drank 8-10 cups a day to 2 in the morning is horrible. They say I'll get used to it in a few weeks. Just hope I don't make a mistake while behind the wheel because of it.

16. Everett 757

No problem, Kevin. It’s easy to make mistakes when replying to a posting. I think LL won’t hold it against you. ;)
    I’m sure you will do okay cutting back on the caffeine. I had to do the same many years ago. It’s not easy at first, but after while you don’t miss it. Hang in there! :cool:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    Kevin, Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  17. Lord Leighton

I don't see it back in service ever! Bring on the 919 and get off their a$$es doin it. Lotta nice lookin scrap aluminum with jet engines and electronics suites sittin there. ;)

Kevin, Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  18. Rotorruss

Most everyone on here knows what the regulator did to me 5 years ago. I can tell you they often suffer from self induced hoof and mouth disease. They talk the safety talk, but they are far from walking the walk.

On Friday I will have my 5th back surgery from their chief helicopter pilots carelessness. The regular has yet to hold anyone responsible for my injuries and disability. Sadly, most of the people responsible have retired with full benefits. I will never be able to enjoy my retirement, even if I can get there.

I have never forgotten my oath. I know several people in DC that has lied, cheated and stole their way up the chain of command. I don't trust anyone in the regulator's 800 Indy building. The Max isn't the only airframe out there with flaws. The regulator is hoping nothing will happen. They will take the GA crashed all day and do nothing about it.

So far, the "biggly one" is a disappointment.

19. Richard Wyeroski

The new FAA Administrator Steve Dickson is heading to Boeing to fly the MAX sim to see the effect of the new changes

I think he will okay it to return to service in the US and require more training for foreign operators.

I know two captains that told me the MAX is a safe plane?

Let’s see what happens......if it is released the next accident will be heard around the world!

The second MAX crash had a FO with only 200 hours total time!

It had to be a factor. What airline has FO’s with 200 flight hours in the right seat of a modern jet liner!?

20. Rotorruss

Yeah. It's all about flight hours made up in a logbook that makes you as seasoned pilot. After all, the FAA Chief helicopter pilot only had 10,000+ hours in helicopters in his logbook.:rolleyes:

I don't trust anyone at 800 Indy!!!

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.