1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

New experience!

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Exuma Guy, Dec 4, 2015.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    I was taxiing out for take-off with a plane-load of mainland Chinese today. Mainland Chinese are NOT the most favorite type of passenger for my cabin crews. They make LaGuardia pax look like angels. It's been a long time since I took a delay for a technical issue but today was the day. We set the parking brake, did the computer reset which failed, consulted the MEL which had no allowance, and then asked Tower to return to the gate.

I was expecting some very angry pax. A mechanic showed up after 15 minutes. He spent another 15 minutes checking the computers with his laptop while the flight deck door was open. Finally I had to announce that we were to disembark everyone.

I stood in the entryway next to the cabin crew as the pax deplaned because I expected some of the pax to be disrespectful. To my surprise, most of them smiled at me and thanked me! A few even called me a hero for not taking off! Total opposite to what I was expecting. I was extremely surprised. I even blushed a tiny tiny bit. I was waiting to hear the sound-track for the Twilight Zone!!

Eventually the flight was canceled, and I was rostered to RTB on another airline. Damned if that airplane didn't break down too!

Drjohn, Tamarindwalk, AeroDon and 6 others like this.
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Wow! Safety trumps all, Good call! Didn't know ya spoke the lingos. :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015
  3. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    None of us speak Chinese beyond the demo announcements, but we've come to recognize some bad words, and a few of the pax spoke English.

4. Lord Leighton

Lol. Just like me and the Arabic dialects.

5. Flytdeck

Flytdeck Hangar Bronze Member VI

Qatar Qatar
    Middle East dialects not a problem. Just have to have a good flem reservoir. maʿ al-salāmah

Drjohn, xnwa, Everett 757 and 2 others like this.
  6. Lord Leighton

Ewwww Yea. I hear em "horking" their phlegmy language most everyday. Yiddish is the same way and even some German and French too. If ya wanna see a hilarious movie, watch on Youtube, "The Gods Must be Crazy 1". It starts with a Coke bottle dropped out of an airplane. The natives talk while clickin their tongues off the roof of their mouths. It is innocently funny! It is narrated at times. You can understand this movie in any language. Yer abs will hurt after! :p

7. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

That was a great movie haha.

8. Art Troutman393

Art Troutman393 Hangar Bronze Member V

Reminds me [uck-oh!] of a 'mission' trip I took with some fellow church members - to Lesotho - a small independent country [former British protectorate of Basutoland] - completely surrounded by the Republic of South Africa. We were the first group to get visas from South Africa - as Apartheid started to come to an end in 1990. We went there to help the locals build a small building - that was to be used as a schoolhouse during the week - and a church on Sundays. We became friends with the children. They had never seen binoculars, cameras, mirrors, etc. They tried to teach us how to make that clicking sound! They laughed themselves silly with our feeble attempts! BTW Loved the movie!

9. Art Troutman393

Exuma Guy! Your experience with the Chinese reminds me [there he goes again!] of my days as a tour guide here at Hearst Castle - on California's Central Coast. Travel agencies in LA bring the Chinese - by the busload - to tour the Castle - every Wednesday & Saturday afternoons. Many know little or no English. So they tend to lag behind the group. They love to take photos! A small group of them will pause at a statuary - and pose for photos. A will take a photo of BCD. Then B will take a photo of ACD. Then C will take a photo of ABD. Then D will take a photo of ABC. And this activity will be repeated a number of times. When the group enters the Castle - the real fun begins! "No Frash" is strictly enforced indoors. But many not knowing English - frash away in spite of being warned! Grrr!

10. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    Great movie that we keep in the digital library. The cultural commentary is spot on but it does a great job of making our own personal prejudices come to light.

Learning to read the language is equated to visual phlegm. Making slow progress but it is difficult to get the scan working in reverse.

11. Lord Leighton

Do they swallow it? o_O:rolleyes:

xnwa, Art Troutman393 and Flytdeck like this.
  12. Flytdeck

Qatar Qatar
    No, but one should not be standing too close, especially if they are excited. :eek:

13. Tamarindwalk

Tamarindwalk Hangar Bronze Member V

Philippines Philippines
    When the captain says get off the plane, it is best to just say yes sir.

14. Lord Leighton

Sounds like the Hearst castle needs the same LARGE signage in many languages such as before entering the "Mad King" Ludwig's castle in Neuschwanstein, Bavaria. It says that the reason is, is the cumulative flash effects will dull the colors in all the art and decorative wall painting over time. I suspect the real reason, is to sell all the souvenir post cards and other uber priced souvenirs after the tours, instead.

[​IMG]

Art Troutman393 likes this.
  15. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    After traveling to Macau for many years and seeing the signs in Chinese and Portuguese, I finally met folks that actually speak Portuguese.

16. Lord Leighton

Lol, reminds me of my Heavy Equipment Operator days as a relative kid in Toronto. Most of the menial road construction industry then, was manned by Italians and Portuguese (paid by the load, dump truck drivers). I used to sit in my loader cab at idle and watch and laugh at fist fights between the two "parties". I especially remember an Italian guy calling an other guy "You Goddama Porkajeeza, Ima gonna breaka you F**kina noza"! :p I kept em in line as far as I was concerned. If they didn't park right to keep fast loading going, and tried to argue with me. I'd have a full 5 yard bucket load hanging over their dump and put it in full float position, crushing the two 2x8s on either side into splinters, that they used to maximize the load size on their dump bodies. They were out of biz for half the day! They didn't mess with a crazy Red headed rogue Terex 8240 loader operater. The word got around. ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  17. Art Troutman393

Man - you really get [got] around, LL ! Per chance - did you operate a Terex 8240 Loader when they dug up Yonge St - to put in a subway line? When I was a 12-year-old kid, living in Erie PA - my folks took me to the Canadian Nat'l Exposition in 1938. I was a rabid hockey fan. I listened to Foster Hewitt - broadcasting on CBL from up in the gondola at Maple Leaf Gardens! "Oh Sole Mio!" I also listened to the Canadiens games from the Forum on CBF in French! When I was living in Germany - working on the Lockheed F-104G Program in the 1960's - there was a Chinese restaurant down the street from where I lived. I ate there often. The funniest thing was listening to their waiters - waiting on the locals - speaking German with a Chinese accent!

Lord Leighton likes this.
  18. Lord Leighton

You bring back many memories Art, but I ain't that old! AAh The CNE, (The Midway, The 'free' Food building, The former Hockey Hall of Fame site, etc. At the end of the school year, every elementary school kid got a free ticket to the CNE. (75 cents at the time). The Terex I operated, was at a gravel pit in Maple, (Richmond Hill), just north of Toronto for the road building/widening of the massive city north infrastructure growth/expansion of the 70's. My Dad, (yer age) went to "Upper Canada College", a Toronto private school, with Bill Hewitt (Foster's son, who became the Leaf announcer after his Dad, along with Ward Cornell). My Dad took me to my very first Leaf game on my Birthday (vs the Bruins. Leafs won 6-3) in 1961 and he took me up to the Gondola to meet Foster himself! The whole experience was a special treat! This all in the days of B&W TVs only. The colors were vivid live! I remember my first Subway ride too, along with many visits to Eaton's main Dept store downtown with their famous 5 cent soft serve chocolate malted ice cream cones. Both my Mom and Dad were taken aback on a trip to Europe once and told me of the Chinese waiters at a Chinese restaurant in Glasgow who spoke with a perfect Scottish brogue! They were born and brought up there. They said the food sucked regardless, lol. I could imagine "Haggis Rolls" with added bean sprouts, if you will. :eek: I also remember flyin on a Niagara Falls sight seein flight on a TCA Viscount out of Malton airport, now YYZ. The windows were as big as a 787's! In the mid 70's, is when I went back up for school and witnessed the CN Tower construction, 5 inches per minute with a slip form continuous pour with a twist built in for the coriolis effect. Yea, I been around a bit.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
    Irish MD-11 and Art Troutman393 like this.
  19. Art Troutman393

Thanks for your fascinating account of your trip back down your memory lane, L/L! Man - if your Dad went to college with Foster Hewitt's son - that makes me a really old geezer! -- 89, but whose counting! Living in Erie - the shoreline of Southern Ont was beyond the horizon. So I used to imagine this mysterious foreign country was so close - and yet so far! Speaking of Niagara Falls - we used to take visiting kinfolk from Pgh to 'The Falls' for the day. And we would go across 'the bridge' - to visit that strange country - with different money! And I found it 'strange' and exotic! Later on - when I attended the U of Detroit - my wife & I would drive over the Ambassador Bridge - or take the tunnel - to Windsor - which was a virtual 'suburb of Detroit - and we spoke the same language! Aye! I remember Eaton's and Casa Loma. The 'pour' to construct the CN Tower was revolutionary [at least the restaurant on top was]. At 5"/min - that's around 30 Canadian feet per Canadian hour! - Or about 700 Canadian feet per Canadian day! That must have been fast-setting concrete - to allow that continuously rising form to retain the concrete! I remember the Viscount - with its oval windows and RR Tyne engines! I particularly liked the Brittania - with its RR Proteus engines. These were the main competitors we faced with 'our' Electra's. Ate the "Haggis" in Glasgow and in Dunedin, NZ. Once would have been enough - to satisfy my curiosity! BTW My favorite goalies were the Leaf's Turk Broda, the Hab's Connie Dion & Reggie Vashon, the Wing's Terry Sawchuck, and the King's Reggie & Johnathan Quick!

Irish MD-11 and Lord Leighton like this.
  20. Lord Leighton

Clarification: Inch every 5 minutes. Sorry for my dyslexion. It didn't go up the other way fast but, every morning I walked out the door it was a tad taller until the windy day they tried puttin the top on with a Sikorsky Sky Crane. I live just outside "Detroilet" now, so the bridge and tunnel are a regular thing for me.
    Johnny Bower, Eddie Shack and of course Tim Horton were my favorites. I lived in Oakville for school when Tim crashed his De Tomaso Pantera at 110 mph on the QEW, while on pain killers and died on the way home from a game, after he was traded to Buffalo.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015