1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

My Transaero Tupolev Tu-214 Flight. Does it Prove that I am Insane?

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by vegli, Sep 25, 2015.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    [​IMG]
    RA-64518 preparing for the long journey to Komsomolsk-na-Amure on the ramp at Moscow’s Domodedovo Airport – Photo: Bernie Leighton | AirlineReporter

Preface: As I was stepping off my flight onto a hard stand at Domodedovo, I learned that Aeroflot was purchasing Transaero. What that will mean for Transaero is unclear at this time. What I can assume, however, is that Aeroflot’s dislike of oddball fleet types puts Transaero’s three Tupolev Tu-214s in extreme danger and that makes me sad. It also made the fact that I have now flown on a Tu-214 that much more important. The things that I had to do to get that flight — they might cause the standard AvGeek to go mad!

[​IMG]
    RA-64518 was the last commercial Tu-214 built to date – Photo: Bernie Leighton | AirlineReporter

You ever wanted to do something really, really, really stupid? I call that a weekday. I am, more or less, Homer Simpson. I am the kind of person more comparable to a talking dog. The kind of person who will smash through a bay window just to shout “WHO WANTS LOTTERY TICKETS?!” This impulsivity and lack of self preservation gives me advantages that most do not have. Most people, when presented with the idea that if they want to fly on a Tu-214, do not immediately think the best option is to fly almost all the way across Russia in one day. They probably think that’s a bad idea. By the time they are saying all the ways it could go wrong, I’ve already paid.

[​IMG]
    Russia is the largest country in the world. My plan would not even take me to its extreme Eastern edge. – Photo: Bernie Leighton | AirlineReporter

I also managed to convince a friend to join me. It feels so cromulent to be part of an international gang of idiots. He also, in a fit of pique, decided to track down Transaero’s director of International Public Relations and tell her what our intentions were.

I think we confused her, but the good kind of bewilderment. “When we saw that two journalists had booked a round trip across Russia in one day, just to fly on a Tu-214, we knew they were serious” was the first thing she told us when we met her. Although I am not sure “serious,” was the word she was thinking… maybe more along the lines of “mental?”

Whatever the case, I cannot say enough nice things about how helpful she was. I’ve worked with many airline PR people and I’d say she was one of the best.

More..
    http://www.airlinereporter.com/2015/09/tu-214-transaero-business-class-flight/

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Great experience! Ty.

3. John L. Sullivan

John L. Sullivan Hangar Bronze Member II

Probably better than the Trans-Siberian RR ;)

John L.

4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Especially the band and their music! ;)

5. Ray

Ray Hangar Associate Member IV

Was the flight full in any segment? 3,600 m range I see.

Lord Leighton and Brent Heiss like this.
  6. Brent Heiss

Brent Heiss Hangar Bronze Member VI

Awesome :D

Lord Leighton likes this.