1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!
  2. Attention Video and Photo Posters: We are testing a new feature: 'Top Video/Photo' of the Day. We will 'sticky' a great video or photo each day (or so) and it will display at the top of the submissions. So post great stuff!

Most dangerous landing in Columbia? I dunno, you experienced folks tell me.

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lord Leighton, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

........Well the airport has NAV aids to help flights get in. The aircraft sounded like a small twin turbo prop commuter. There is a lot of rough terrain and the airport handles large jets. Is it dangerous, yes in the event of an emergency. Would I like to do this everyday........No

The airport would not get a safe rating airport if it was in the states!
    What is the accident rate at this airport, I would guess high........

3. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

4. Lord Leighton

Welp. It's kinda similar to the airport on Catalina Island.

Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    NOT!!
    1) It's on a mountain top, not in a valley. Pilots can turn many directions to go-around.
    2) It has a visual glidepath indicator and I suspect an instrument approach too.
    3) It's not sea level but it's not high altitude.
    4) The runway length is more than sufficient. Rubber marks in the touchdown zone are all over the place.

Way back in my 727 days, this would be a runway for the flight engineer to land on...

6. Richard Wyeroski

The FAA AIM recommends a safe procedure for an aircraft traffic pattern around a runway. Basically do not get more then 1/4-1/2 miles away from the runway. On final be able to land if the engine stops running. On departure be able to turn and land back on the runway at a minimum altitude.

Practicing landings at airports with students I follow this procedure. At every point in the pattern I simulate an engine failure. The most dangerous is of course losing the engine as the aircraft rotates and is 100 feet or less above the runway.

So at a pattern altitude of 1000' above ground level an aircraft should make the runway in the pattern

Dangerous airports are those surrounded by obstacles. Chester airport is an example. It is completely surrounded by trees. Get to far away from the runway in the pattern and the aircraft will not make the runway. Pilots have crashed and died at this airport........

Obviously, this is where the new FAA "RISK MANAGEMENT" comes in. Simply thy say you can get killed flying into this airport.

I have landed at Chester numerous times with different pilots. Most did not follow the above procedures. Of course I directed them how to safely land at this airport. It still is a risk............

Chester Airport take off and landing

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Richard Wyeroski

I was in California on business years ago. Rented a plane and an instructor and did a flight there.....I was a private Pilot then and learned a lot !:)

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Dayum, looks like it's in the middle of the Amazon lol. You could probably land on the roof of that runway length hanger too.

Everett 757 likes this.