1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Lion Air incident. Red Tape and funds holding up investigation?: FlightAware

Discussion in 'Airline Talk & Discussion' started by Lord Leighton, Dec 14, 2018.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

This does smell rather suspicious. o_O

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

...how convenient. Makes you feel good to have a well funded investigation group in the US. In a digital world, the recorder manufacturer should be able to make one box to record both information. They could even have two boxes for redundancy.

I'm sure the conspiracy theory groups are starting to point back to the operator for their shortcomings. You would think that the world's leading aviation country would be able to assist in the recovery efforts since the mass interest in the US to prevent the crash from happening again. I'm sure that the "biggly one" can find a way for Indonesia to pay for it in the long run??!!!:rolleyes:

Kevin, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

"In a digital world, the recorder manufacturer should be able to make one box to record both information. They could even have two boxes for redundancy." How about Having CVRs that automatically transmit live to be recorded by satellites? Easy enough from what I can take on it.

Kevin, Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    The technology is certainly available. However... anything using satellites is expensive.
    In addition to the CVR and FDR, most airlines equip their fleets with a QAR.
    QARs typically send FDR information after each flight by cell data communication which is much cheaper.
    QARs typically record hundreds of parameters more than the standard FDR,
    and because the data is the property of the airline, it can be used against pilots in disciplinary actions despite a union's objections.

6. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

I am not a conspiracy theory person but IMHO Lion Air does not want the CVR recovered and that's the last thing their Insurer would want because they know it would implicate the pilots to some degree to the accident. This at the cost of worldwide safety concerns about the B737Max. We're missing a big chunk of information here and I'm sure Boeing would like to know too but neither Boeing or the U.S. NTSB can assist because of "International Regulations"? I smell a "big" rat.

7. Lord Leighton

Well Boeing and the NTSB can assist as it's a US made product involved, so yes, something is 'hampering' this investigation.

Rotorruss, Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  8. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Everett 757 likes this.