1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

LI doctor dies in plane crash

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Sep 17, 2018.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Rotorruss likes this.
  2. Richard Wyeroski

Yes an investigation is underway. It is a shame it happened and how to prevent these accidents is the big question.......!

What could be done? Really nothing!

The FAA will call it "RISK MANAGEMENT" When A pilot takes off he knows he could die!! That is what risk management means. Calculate the risk, take off and do everything you can do to get there safely.

I know that a single engine aircraft has more risk then a twin engine? maybe.......

To be safe......really always fly a reliable twin engine jet with two pilots and stay current by flying a lot and attend training courses and take simulator training every six months on emergency procedures. Be current and your chances on getting where you are going is good.......!

3. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Again.....:(

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Fuel tanks contaminated with too much air maybe? Not much to go on with this 'investigation' so far. ATC recordings? VASAviation shows nothing.

5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    I have seen a trend for the last few years-
    Fairly experienced pilots going straight in for no discernible reason.
    Most of these pilots are mid 60's and older.
    Perhaps it's time for CVR's and FDR's in small aircraft.
    Also, video cameras to record if the pilot had health problems and became incapacitated.

6. Richard Wyeroski

I think the cost will be out there for small planes. However the FAA could not regulate it or be able to surveil it.

The FAA has to make attending safety seminars or more safety training with an instructor mandatory. I attend at least 8 seminars a year. Again, these seminars are not effective and the accidents continue.......what is the answer?

7. Lord Leighton

Btw VASAviation is a YouTube channel for ATC recordings, kinda like this one.

Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Outside of a medical event, Some guys(Rabid gum chewers) think they're the cat's a$$ and are above the rules of physics..

Rotorruss likes this.
  9. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Wow! They were fortunate to make it back safe.

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  10. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

The "regulator" won't do anything about the crash numbers as long as the alphabet lobby groups are in the congress pockets. Everyone keeps saying that flying is safer than driving. Depending on how you crunch the numbers and classify the crash, being safer can be a true.statement.

The news cycle "if it bleeds, it leads" makes the "15 minutes" in the limelight. All the "experts" are good at identifying the problems but no one can agree on how to fix the problem. Until, we can fix it, we are destined to make the same mistakes over and over.

There isn't much anyone can do when the crash is a high energy impact. There is only so much the body can take in the crash sequence. As long as there is a human involvement, we will continue to have crashes. There will be no "zero accidents" year. Anyone who thinks that is a reality, needs to check into the "rubber room" hospital!

11. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Even though I'm an instructor, I don't hold a CFI. Should I have to pay a CFI more than the BFR already required? Will the seminars be given at my convenience? These are the responses you probably have already heard, plus maybe an expletive or two. Your idea will work to improve a few people as they already do, but won't reach the majority of GA pilots. Not saying it's a bad idea, just saying it won't have much reach.

As for the CVR-FDR-Vidcam, I can buy off-the-self parts and install them in a steel case for $600 USD. Attach a power cable to recharge the internal battery. Attach it to the instrument panel. It can be transportable like a hand-held GPS. Should be easy to certify under the new rules. Not much liability exposure for manufacturers. Add a new reg to prevent the FAA from using it for enforcement actions same as an ASRS form. This won't fix any crashes but will help to explain the causes of many loss-of-control accidents.

12. Richard Wyeroski

I think one big problem we all are missing is the FAA has too many managers with no aviation field experience. Many Managers have no experience. Take the last Administrator......Huerta, appointed by Obama and 0 experience in aviation. The last AFS-1 Administrator was a lawyer and she was afraid to fly!

Many FAA FSDO managers are bureaucrats, many are not pilots. So until that changes, how do we expect to have any effective safety programs that really work?

13. Richard Wyeroski

BTW when I was in the FAA I soon learned that no one wants anyone's opinion. Those that last long enough to retire are those that do nothing and go with the flow. Look the other way and do what you are told even though it is wrong or illegal.

This mentality kills people and until it changes nothing will change!