1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Kiev - Warsaw - Chicago; LOT Airlines E175 and B787 Dreamliner

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Shawn White, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

United States United States
    At the end of August I flew with LOT Polish Airlines from Kiev to Warsaw (Embraer 175), and then Warsaw to Chicago (Boeing 787). Honestly European airlines are amazing compared to just about anyone else I've flown with. Both on the first short flight and later on the Dreamliner, they had excellent service, on-time flights, and fancy airplanes. Both flights were fully packed, but the entire cabin still felt airy and comfortable; the seats were also huge with plenty of legroom and recline. IMG_9624.JPG
    Kyiv Borisipol Airport had a nice remodeling for the Euro Cup, so the new terminal was very nice and had a fresh, modern feel to it. It was a nice combination of large, open areas with duty free shops and malls, along with a few quieter corners with seating and small cafes. It also has unobstructed view of the runway and arriving/departing aircraft, which made for some nice pictures. In the background you can also see some of the transport aircraft in storage with the Ukrainian Air Force.

_MG_9629.JPG

My plane, the classy Embraer 175. Best regional jet available to fly with...
    _MG_9627.JPG
    IMG_9622.JPG
    IMG_9626.JPG
    image (2).jpg
    image (3).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    Initially I was quite worried about my connection in Warsaw, since I'd never been to Frederik-Chopin before, and I only had 90 minutes in-between flights. It wasn't a problem at all though, since both flights were perfectly on-time with no delays, and the first flight arrived and parked just two gates over from the next departing one. I had to go through security to make it through the transit, but all my checked luggage went right through with no issue. I made it through with an hour to spare, and was able to change some money into local currency for my coin collection. Fun fact, Gatorade there is super expensive at like $4.50 a bottle. :) image (6).jpg
    _MG_9630.JPG
    While waiting I also saw a Blackhawk shoot by. Very scary looking helicopter.

image (4).jpg
    image.jpg
    As everyone knows, the 787 is kind of a cool plane. The dimming system on the windows was kind of fun, and the entertainment selection was great. They even had power outlets and USB recharge ports for personal devices. The TV screens were also cool since they tilt up and down, which reduces the glare when someone reclines their seat. image (1).jpg
    It was a very fun flight, and awesome chance to catch LOT's summer ticket sale. I will definitely book with them in the future.

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Great shots and story Shawn! You must have tons of frequent flyer miles built up by now! ;)

Everett 757 and Edward Jeszka like this.
  3. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

They're spread out on like 20 different airlines:( Can't use them for much...

4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

No "Alliance" points?

Everett 757 and Edward Jeszka like this.
  5. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Shawn thanks for sharing this. I recently flew through KBP (Kiev Borispol) and yes it is a nice modern terminal compared to when I flew through there a few years ago.

Lord Leighton likes this.