1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

JFK JR disappeared 20 years ago!

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    A life cut short and why and how did something like this happen. The aircraft was a 6 passenger retractable geared Piper Saratoga. It was an automated aircraft with a two axis auto pilot with altitude hold and the most advanced electronics for 1999.

A mystery and at that time Senator Ted Kennedy took over the investigation and had a navy ship dispatched to search for survivors.

To this day no one really knows what happened to the aircraft. Supposedly nothing abnormal was found in their wreckage.

In 1999 I was in the FAA as an operations inspector and was following the investigation..... The FAA or the NTSN were not involved in the immediate investigation? The Navy took over recovering the wreckage.

The NTSB did examine the wreckage.

More questions with no answers. How could it happen? The aircraft had an excellent auto pilot that would fly the aircraft.

It’s my opinion that possibly the electrical system may have failed!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE

https://www.pennlive.com/life/2019/07/remembering-jfk-jr-20-years-after-his-death.html

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

Wow 20 years go by faster than I like. This was another tragic event in the Kennedy Family's history, sad for such a young man and his wife and friend and so unexpected. The "spatial orientation" theory as proposed by the NTSB was just accepted. I know the Piper Saratoga was a sophisticated aircraft but they blamed that sophistication might have been a contributing factor since they were considering JFK's flight experience. Didn't realize about the autopilot though. Quick again to blame the pilot instead of a mechanical failure.

3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

The whole situation was sad. I wonder how politics would be if he became a senator knocking out Hillary. Then a presidential candidate?

Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

You're close Rich but have it a lil backwards. JFK Jr took his dog 'Friday' with him EVERYWHERE. Not this flight? He was a maticulous 'safety' pilot and ALWAYS flew with an instructor co-pilot. Not this flight? He hurt his foot and had it wrapped with a big boot about 5 days before this flight.(Ever try rudder skills with a GIANT white boot on one of yer feet?). When they pulled the body out on video, it was a mannequin, not a dead body, PLAIN as day!. Hillary has a funny way of winning elections, except ONE!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
    Kevin and Richard Wyeroski like this.