1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Indian aerobatic team collide in flight

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by Richard Wyeroski, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Two Indian military Aerobatic jets collided during training flight at airbase. One killed killed and two injured.......Sad!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    Surya Kiran Aerobatic Jets Collide In India (with Video)
    MARC COOK
    [​IMG]

One Indian air force pilot was killed after two BAE Hawk aircraft collided midair. The Surya Kiran aerobatics team was preparing for an airshow at Aero India when the accident occurred.

According to reports, Wing Commander VT Shelke and Squadron Leader TJ Singh both ejected, but Wing Commander Sahil Gandhi was killed. The two surviving aircrew were airlifted with unspecified injuries to the Air Force Command Hospital in nearby Bengaluru in southern India.

Eyewitnesses say that the two jets, one with a solo pilot and the other with a crew of two, were performing a maneuver with the upper airplane inverted and canopy-to-canopy with the lower, flying in the same direction.

The BAE Hawk is a follow-on to the Hawker-Siddeley Hawk jet trainer first flown in the late 1970s. It is still in production by BAE in the U.K. and built under license by Hindustan Aeronautics in India. In addition to the Surya Kiran team, the Hawk is flown by the Royal Air Force's Red Arrows team.

view on YouTube

2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Such a s shame this happened!

4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Just another example of the hazards of creating entertainment for those on the ground. Not much outcry when this type of crash happens.

Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  5. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member III

I think the general public don't appreciate the skill of the pilots and the safety envelopes developed for these air shows. Kind of looked at like "Daredevils" flying bi-planes not much sympathy. My condolences again for the loss of life and my prayers are with the two survivors for their recovery.

Everett 757 likes this.
  6. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Having sat through several briefings over the years, most of the professional military jet teams are not the worry. It's usually the surface card holders and the cowboy performers that you have to worry about. Most acts are more careless on the second day show. That's when the cowboy performers let it all hang out. I've stopped more than one show for unsafe acts. It drives the Show Boss nuts. We are luck that most crashes happen on the airfield and not in some housing development.

Everett 757 and Kevin like this.