1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

In Depth Look: Aircraft Production in the Former Soviet Union

Discussion in 'Airplane, Aircraft & Jumbo Jet Talk' started by vegli, Mar 29, 2014.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    [​IMG]
    LAM Ilyushin Il-62 – Photo: Colin Cooke / Flickr CC

In the Western world, when it comes to aircraft production, it is pretty much common that the aircraft designer is also the manufacturer of said aircraft. For example, in the United States, Boeing, Lockheed, and McDonnell Douglas were the three big manufacturers of civil aircraft through the 1990’s. All three of these companies employed many thousands of engineers designing every part of each aircraft family, and then would hand the design over to many thousand more factory workers who would build the aircraft at vast company-owned factories. In the former Soviet Union (USSR), things worked a little differently.
    When one thinks of Soviet-era aircraft, one normally thinks of the very popular civil designs by Ilyushin and Tupolev. But what most do not realize is that these famous companies were not in the business of aircraft manufacturing. Within the Soviet Union, the aviation industry was governed by three main government organizations: the Ministry of Aviation Industry (Министерство авиационной промышленности, or MAP), the Ministry of Civil Aviation (Министерство гражданской авиации, or MGA), and the Ministry of Defense (Министерство обороны, or MO).

[​IMG]
    A Tupolev Tu-144 flying – Photo: clipperartic / Flickr CC

The MAP was the state entity that oversaw all aircraft production, both civil and defense, and was split into two main groups: the independent production factories, and the designer’s prototype factories. The MGA, which during the time of the Soviet Union was pretty much Aeroflot, oversaw the repair and upkeep of civil aircraft, while the MO oversaw the repair.

More...
    http://www.airlinereporter.com/2014/03/aircraft-production-in-the-former-soviet-union/

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

The prototype to the IL-62 was the French Caravelle.

David Barnshaw and Lee Ferrara like this.
  3. Ning Saensuk

Ning Saensuk Hangar Associate Member V

Thailand Thailand
    It looks to me like the Soviets had a lot more spys in the Vickers Armstrong design offices, where they designed the VC 10, than they had at Sud Aviation.

4. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I guess they had enough spies everywhere lol.