1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Imagine Christmas without Amazon!

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Exuma Guy, Nov 24, 2016.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-amazon-pilot-strike-20161123-story.html

A federal judge on Wednesday ordered pilots for a cargo airline that delivers Amazon packages to go back to work.

The judge in Cincinnati said it was in the public's interest to end the strike because holiday shoppers expect to receive their packages on time.

“Imagine Christmas without Amazon!” U.S. District Court Judge Timothy S. Black wrote in his ruling.

About 250 pilots for ABX Air went on strike early Tuesday in a dispute over working conditions and time off. Dozens of flights and more than 1 million pounds of cargo were held up.

The airline went to court to end the strike, saying its timing threatened to leave millions of dollars' worth of freight undelivered to homes and stores during the Christmas shopping season.

ABX parent Air Transport Services Group Inc. said pilots would begin returning to work Wednesday night. The Teamsters union, which represents the pilots, said the strike was causing ABX to cancel about 75 flights a day. Besides Amazon, ABX's other major customer is Deutsche Post AG's DHL delivery service.

Analysts said an extended strike would have forced Amazon to put more of its deliveries in the hands of UPS, FedEx and the U.S. Postal Service.

The strike's impact would be short-lived — a few days, said Satish Jindel, president of logistics adviser SJ Consulting Group. “I don't think it's going to disrupt e-commerce or Amazon,” he said.

Even before the judge's ruling, Morningstar retail analyst R.J. Hottovy noted that Amazon and other retailers have contingency plans to deal with disruptions of any sort — such as weather and strikes — during the holidays. Amazon has spread its deliveries among a larger number of carriers, including the post office and small providers, he said.

Amazon has been trying to reduce its dependence on UPS and FedEx since those companies delivered millions of packages late during the 2013 holiday season. This year, Amazon leased planes from ABX and another cargo carrier, Atlas Air, and began building its own ground-transport system.

The surge in online shopping — which is growing faster than in-store shopping — and promises of free shipping have put additional stress on delivery companies like ABX.

The ABX pilots say management violated their contract to keep planes flying. The union says the company is denying vacation time for some pilots and compensatory time off for others just to keep all its planes flying.

“We are doing all sorts of emergency shifts because we don't have enough people,” said Tim Jewell, a union officer who flies Boeing 767 jets for ABX. “It's taking a tremendous toll on our families.”

Jewell said pilots will abide by the judge's order and return to work, “but manning and staffing will continue to be a problem.”

ABX argued that the union was violating federal law by conducting a strike before checking off the necessary steps that federal law requires before a work stoppage in the airline industry.

ABX President John Starkovich said the company would continue negotiations and arbitration to settle its differences with the union.

Labor relations at railroads and airlines are governed by a federal law that dates to the 1920s and makes strikes difficult. Most airlines haven't had a strike in many years, although pilots for Spirit Airlines walked off the job in 2010.

2. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Trump......Trump....Trump....he will fix it and kick the FAA in the ass....to get going and increase rest times...
    another benefits to this important arm of our aviation interstructure....:)

Everett 757, Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member II

A Miracle at Terry Ave North in Seattle, Amazon Headquarters. Starring Jeff Bezos. Still need casting for the Maureen O'Hara and Natalie Wood parts. Heartwarming.

Lord Leighton likes this.
  4. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

I want my Amazon deliveries on time please!!

5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    OTOH, If you are a pilot at ABX Air (what's left of Airborne Express), you don't have a life because management disregards the labor contract to the point of being unsafe.
    You might not get that package at all.....

I have pilot friends all over the world, and most are in agreement that airline labor unions in the US are weak, and therefore the pay is weak. I tend to agree with them. Lufthansa went on strike at the same time and won major concessions. Trump ain't going fix this one because Trump ain't gonna fix unions.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  6. Richard Wyeroski

.....The ATC union is strong.....which is why half of the FAA budget of 17 Billion goes to salaries...FAA management does not have a clue how to negotiate .....or control costs...it will never change with inept managent in charge
    BTW I am all for increasing duty rest times and having safer working conditions for Cargo Ops...but that won't change either......

7. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

After Trump gets inaugurated, Jeff Bezos will sell the Washington Post for 25 cents........the company, not per copy. ;)

Richard Wyeroski and Kevin like this.
  8. Lord Leighton

The airline labor union members aren't weak per se as they know all their leaders are on the take. THAT's why they're weak, (I'll bet any US airline pilot that YOU may know did NOT vote for Hillary). He'll fix one union for sure. The Teacher's union! 'Core education' (Indoctrination) will go the way of Dinosaurs. Remember, He's essentially beholden to No One! He WILL drain all the corrupt Union head swamps too as he KNOWS 75% of all union workers silently voted for him despite the Liberal Union head's dogma. I know this fact first hand. All the UAW members did just that, for example. ;):cool:

Richard Wyeroski and Kevin like this.
  9. Lord Leighton

Especially bringin the the Freight dog's rest time into equality. The freight companies might need to hire a few more pilots. What a concept huh!

Kevin and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  10. Lord Leighton

Not under the current FAA management, but that WILL be changed. Remember, Trump has priorities within the first 100 days, so this might take a little time. Sure would be nice to hear the name 'Richard Wyeroski' the new FAA Administrator! ;)

Kevin likes this.
  11. Richard Wyeroski

I never could understand why the FAA has not brought up the standards of the freight dogs ....but management does what it is told....a few more accidents and maybe something will be done!!

Lord Leighton and Kevin like this.
  12. Lord Leighton

Lobbyists and corruption.

Kevin and Richard Wyeroski like this.