1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Grenada, Granada: Dentist sues airline over holiday gaffe

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by vegli, Jun 23, 2014.

1. vegli

vegli Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    [​IMG]
    Edward Gamson wanted to enjoy the Moorish architecture of Granada (left). Instead, he was stuck on a plane to Grenada in the Caribbean (right). Photo / Getty Images

After two years without a holiday and a lifetime of longing to see the architectural treasures of Granada, Edward Gamson felt he could at last relax as he sat back on a British Airways flight en route to the capital of Moorish Spain.

It was only when the American dentist and his partner glanced at the electronic map on the in-flight entertainment system and noticed their plane was heading due west out of London that they became concerned something was not right.

Some nine hours later, the pair found themselves not among the arabesques of the Alhambra Palace but a full 4,000 miles from their intended destination, on the Caribbean holiday island of Grenada.

The mix-up initially resulted in apologies from BA staff on board the flight, and a promise that the couple would be put on the plane's return trip to Gatwick en route to Granada. Instead, they were subjected to a further three-day ordeal which resulted in them never reaching Spain, and a refusal by BA to reimburse their £2,650 first-class tickets, and which is now the subject of a damages claim before the US courts.

Mr Gamson told The Independent on Sunday: "I have a lifelong interest in Islamic art. I'm also of Spanish Jewish heritage so it was something I had always wanted to do to visit Granada and the Alhambra. I made it absolutely clear to the booking agent I wanted to go to Granada in Spain. Why on earth would I want to go to Grenada in the Caribbean if I was flying back to America from Lisbon?

"It's just so sad. A trip we had been really looking forward to was ruined and ... BA won't do the decent thing."

More...
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11279634

2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Guess he got drilled on that one.

3. Midway737

Midway737 Hangar Associate Member II

In order to confused with the city, state and country that is common with other, always read the boarding pass and the gate sign . It not that hard.

4. Doug Ely

Doug Ely Hangar Associate Member III

Couldn't the knucklehead get the idea from the type of aircraft? Guess he'd be mad if the airline took him to Birmingham....he'd really enjoy Alabama and not England! I doubt BA flies the same equipment to both Grenadas.

5. colin g

colin g New Hangar Member

well hope the food was good

6. colin g

colin g New Hangar Member

sorry - wrong message - don't want him for my dentist - thanks anyway

7. Art Troutman393

Art Troutman393 Hangar Bronze Member V

I agree with you M/W737. Let the flier beware! And he holds a doctorate! And why is he suing the airline, rather than the booking agent? And there were two of them! And why the three-day delay in Grenada?

8. Biggles

Biggles Hangar Bronze Member III

What is the difference in flight times to Grenada and Grenada? This information should be on their tickets and/or boarding pass, and should have given the good dentist and partner a clue.
    Given that the travelers were inattentive idiots (which they are entitled to be); wouldn't it be good PR for BA to give them tickets to Spain and reimburse themselves from whatever commission they pay to their incompetent travel agent?

9. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    The fact is that the average holiday pax.going by air dont know the differance between a B17 and a B747 as long as they get to their destination-have a good holiday-and get back home again.

BJMLoLLaG, Biggles and Lord Leighton like this.
  10. Lord Leighton

I'm sorry, but this is verifiable evidence that this guy couldn't find his ass with a mirror. This "dentist" would probably pull the wrong tooth. I just got a picture of him stepping in front of the X-ray machine.

Attached Files:

Biggles and David Barnshaw like this.
  11. Biggles

Biggles Hangar Bronze Member III

Correction "Flight times between Grenada and Grenada" should have been " Flight times between Grenada and Granada"
    Note to self: Read before posting

Lord Leighton likes this.
  12. Lord Leighton

That's ok. Glad yer not a dentist either. :p

David Barnshaw and Biggles like this.