1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Free upgrade, a moral dilemma.

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by David, Jul 4, 2014.

1. David

David Hangar Bronze Member II

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Recently a friend of mine and his wife were taking a four leg flight with a major American airline, he booked his flights through Expedia then decided to upgrade cabin. After several failed attempts to upgrade on the airlines website he called customer service and asked the agent to upgrade his seats. After agreeing which seats he wanted and working out the price the agent said there was a problem with her system but she would go ahead and allocate the chosen seats and he would have to pay at check in to which he agreed.
    On the day of his flight he went to pre check and was assisted by a very nice customer service man who instructed him to place his passport in the reader where the agent said I see you have upgraded sir may I suggest two other available seats instead of the ones you have chosen as they are the same price but better, obviously he agreed and it was at this point things went wrong (for the airline).
    After the agent selected the new seats the system asked for payment and thinking he had messed up the agent apologised and over road the system thus generating the boarding passes at no cost.
    The four flights were completed and nothing more was mentioned each time he checked in.
    I would value your comments on this, was he right to keep quite or is this just out and out theft on his part?

2. Edward Jeszka

Edward Jeszka Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    David,
    The right thing was not to take advantage of a helpful gate agent and advise that he was supposed to pay the difference. I am pretty sure I would have but who knows how many others would and where they came from. Different cultures give different meaning to honesty.

3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Just for my own peace of mind, I also would have brought their error to their attention and ponied up as planned. After eventually finding out the error, I bet the airline and the nice customer service man would be less likely to help out in the future, which I view as theft of future good will. Karma will get the guy one day in some way. Peace of mind is more valuable to me. :)

4. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    :)[/QUOTE]
    Spot on L.L.,nothing is better than a peace of mind:)

Ursula Kunz likes this.