1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

First Solo Flight Cirrus SR-20

Discussion in 'Trip Experiences' started by Shawn White, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

United States United States
    First Solo Shaw White.jpg
    Finally got my first solo flight done! It was taking a while to get it in, since the weather has been pretty snowy these last couple of weeks, but it finally cleared up yesterday and I was able to finish it. Flying out of WMU's College of Aviation at BTL, my instructor and I went up for a few trips in the pattern, practicing touch-and-go's. After about 40 minutes we did a full stop and taxied back to the ramp. I got my solo endorsement, then started the engine and taxied out to do a systems check and run-up.

After nervously checking everything twice, I eventually decided that it was probably fine to go, so I received taxi clearance and started lining up Runway 23R. I was taking a moment to check that the nose wheel was aligned with the center line, when the tower controller mentioned that another plane was on approach for landing behind me. I was confused for a second, wondering if I needed to acknowledge or read back, but decided to ignore that and just added power and began my takeoff. From then on everything went smoothly, and it was kind of fun just flying the pattern as normal. I landed slightly flat, but it wasn't terrible and I got the plane down without denting the runway or anything.

The only thing that wasn't great was that I forgot to turn off the boost pump when doing my after-landing check. When I went to shutdown and pulled the mixture, the engine kept purring on smoothly. After a few seconds it dawned on me that fuel was still coming from somewhere, so I looked around and realized that I just needed to flick that OFF. It wasn't a huge deal, but I was kind of annoyed I missed that on the checklist, since if something like that had happened in the air or during an emergency it could have been a lot worse. After figuring that all out, I shut down the rest of the systems and got a picture with the plane. Now it just feels really great to be done with that, and hopefully the weather stays good enough to go up again soon. After a few more lessons in the practice area and some basic instrument training with my instructor, we'll start doing some cross country and night flights, which I'm really looking forward to.

2. Dezr

Dezr Hangar Bronze Member I

Netherlands Netherlands
    congratulations! that's a big milestone in any pilots career, no matter what they go on to do, they can Always recall that and tell you about it.

Oggie, Biggles, Shawn White and 3 others like this.
  3. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Congratulations Shawn!!!! Good Job! I know ya felt kinda odd after settling in during yer solo and then realized that you were all alone. I bet I could see the grin from here! :);)

4. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

great shawn.....stay with it and stay safe!!:)

5. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Shawn, that is wonderful! Congratulations, and I wish you success in your training! I will never forget my first solo flight. Yes, its quite a thing when you go and start taxiing out and realize its just you and the plane. Its a little tense, but its also a feeling of accomplishment. There is nothing like it.

6. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Congrats!!
    Looking ahead, you'll do spin training for the CFI, but I suggest investing time and money for some aerobatic taildragger instruction. Does your school have access to a Citabria or equivalent? It will make you a much better pilot.

7. Shawn White

Thanks! Western has a Super Decathlon which we use for upset recovery training in the Commercial course. I think we get 5-10 hours in that, practicing recovery from unusual attitudes and basic aerobatic maneuvers, although no actual tailwheel endorsement because of insurance policies:( I would definitely like to do further aerobatic training on my own though; I think it would be fun and very helpful like you mentioned.

8. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    The student does the take-offs and landings in the Decathlon?

9. Richard Wyeroski

.......Insurance companies actually rule the industry. You will receive a tail wheel endorsement all right, but will not be able to solo the ship because the insurance would be too high. Pilot flight experience requirements for certain aircraft are high.

Now take my aircraft ...a Cherokee 140. The open pilot solo requirement is 250 hours TT. However if you buy an aircraft the insurance requirement is much lower....go figure?

BTW a while back just to solo a cirrus aircraft the student needed 100 hours dual given?....

10. Shawn White

Not sure, I haven't gotten there yet:) I would guess the instructor is "officially" supposed to, but depending on the skill level of the student flying they probably fly it most of the time.

11. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas
    I hope you get to do some landings in the taildragger. It will fine tune your rudder control in the flair which makes for greaser landings when you get to the big jets.

12. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

:);)

Everett 757 likes this.
  13. Biggles

Biggles Hangar Bronze Member III

Congratulations Shawn, well done. Remember you can't repeat that. You can only ever do one first solo !!
    Did you find yourself talking to the right hand seat and looking over for reassurance ?

14. Exuma Guy

Bahamas Bahamas

15. Richard Wyeroski

16. David Barnshaw

David Barnshaw Hangar Gold Member I

United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Many congrats.Shawn, you will never forget your first solo--enjoy your flying.:cool:

17. John Krull

John Krull Hangar Associate Member V

my congrats also Shawn. You just can't beat that feeling!:cool:

18. Oggie

Oggie Hangar Bronze Member IV

Way to go. You have taken a huge step in the sequence to become a licensed pilot. One milestone down and many more to come.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.