1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Feds can't fly?

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Rotorruss, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

United States United States
    Lord Leighton likes this.
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Richard Wyeroski and Rotorruss like this.
  3. Rotorruss

... it's just a matter of time before any flying will be done by designees. The designees will be observed from the backseat by some GS-9 with a clipboard. We'll see how many leave by the end of the year.

4. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

.....Most FAA inspectors are not current to fly. As time goes on in the job inspectors don't fly, they observe? The agency is turning into a large bureaucratic boondoggle slowing down the growth of the US Aviation industry.

Flight Standards, which is located in Washington DC should be disbanded.

What is next, what is ahead for this agency? No one knows.........

Ironically, I was the only inspector in my FSDO (FArmingdale EA-11) that owned an aircraft. I maintained currency and "PROFICIENCY" that way.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  5. Rotorruss

The "Future of Flight Standards" is "disbanding" on paper, yet the same "lapses" are still there and getting larger. It's sad that they have to take an inspector clear across the country just to conduct a "single engine checkride"!

The current "push" is to "maximize" the use of "designees". This will "free" the Inspectors to just "observe" the "designees". Then, all the "agency" has to do is hire GS-9s to do the "observations". They can teach a "Safety Tech" to do an "observation".

The days of "flying" is coming to an end and only a "select few" will get the "privilege to fly". I have a feeling that this change will be completed by 2020 when "Duncan's legacy" is complete.

6. Richard Wyeroski

In my area FAA is holding back companies from expanding and doing business because personnel is not Avaliable.

The President has said that he is cutting government agencies budgets and illuminating millions in waste.

January should be interesting with a new and hopefully experienced administrator coming in......

Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Rotorruss

... trying to "keep the faith" that the "Great Pilot" can right the "ship"! There are several "holdovers" to contend with. The "Safety" division has changed. Less "boots on the ground" and more "risk management" via a computer program. Between the flight program moving to Ft Worth, Compliance Philosophy and the Future of Flight Standards, they've basically "killed" the "hands on" Aviation Safety.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2017/august/24/faa-reorganizes-flight-standards-service

https://pilot-protection-services.aopa.org/news/2017/august/01/compliance-philosophy

Hopefully, we'll hear "who" the "Great Pilot" is soon!! Make Aviation Great Again!!

8. Richard Wyeroski

.....Someone is making all these new decisions, like disbanding the Regional Offices and adding upper management. The new Chief coming in will definitely have the ear of the President and I see major changes ahead

Lord Leighton likes this.
  9. Rotorruss

...they used the 2012 reauthorization to justify the changes. They figure that constancy would be better if they did a "silo shift" and add another layer of "leadership". Congress gave the go-ahead in 2016. The completion date was accelerated after the election. Most of the new "leaders" can retire so they are "padding" their retirement. With no boundaries, they can make "assignments" anywhere in the country. This "decentralization" satisfies the "biggly one's" move out of DC. The "backup" HQ is in FTW. This will be the "Duncan legacy" when completed in 2020.

Just waiting for the day when your principles are from the opposite side of the country. It's coming, like it or not.

"Drain the Swamp" and stop the "padding" of the retirement! Every one of those "responsible" for my injuries and disability, have been promoted and can retire at any time. I, however have a lifetime of pain and suffering!

10. Richard Wyeroski

.....Big changes ahead for the FAA?

Rotorruss likes this.
  11. Rotorruss

...we'll see what happens after January 8th! Yet to see any mass retirements. To "right" the ship, the "top" needs to go! With all the new promotions, they are trying to get their "high three"! The "great pilot" needs to get a "good team" before a "real change" happens. The "forest" needs to get rid of the "deadwood" to promote "new" growth!

"Drain the Swamp" and encourage "new" growth!!