1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Fatal Citation crash....another one!

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    I was in the airport coffe shop yesterday and one of my students walked up to me and said his friend was killed in a crash. Of course anytime an aircraft crashes and people are killed it becomes a traumatic situation. Friends die and we feel bad but it keeps happening.

As serious as a fatal accident is, I know of too many of them that just keep happening. In this case the pilot was experienced. He was an aviation enthusiast and owned several aircraft. He took off in his personnel Citation V and one minute later the aircraft went out of control killing him and three other instantly!

Aviation can not afford to lose good people that promote aviation. The usual investigation will be conducted and a year later a probable cause will be published by the NTSB. Will it change anything? probably not.........

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    https://www.baaa-acro.com/index.php/crash/crash-cessna-560-citation-v-atlanta-4-killed

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    I read about that one. It doesn't make much sense to me either...

3. Richard Wyeroski

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Another one.....:(

Lord Leighton likes this.
  5. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

:( RIP.

Everett 757 likes this.
  6. Richard Wyeroski

Why are citation jets crashing ? It should be pointed out that Citation jets have special authorization to require only one pilot. Most jet aircraft require two pilots.

It's my opinion that many of these crashes could have been prevented if another pilot was on board.

Yet they keep happening and insurance companies will eventually require two pilots. Pilot error is usually the cause in most of these accidents!

So why one pilot?..............a really good question I think!o_O

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

https://www.flyingmag.com/citation-cvr-recovered-from-lake-erie

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  7. Lord Leighton

Beech Premiers are single Pilot authorized as well.

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  8. Richard Wyeroski

Most owners that fly single pilot go for citations because of low prices and reasonable maintenance.

It will probably come down to insurance companies forcing owners to get an SIC. Actually it amazes me that owners that can afford a jet try and do everything themselves. Then one day they are a little tired, distracted or a little off and wind up killing themselves. It has been happening way to often now!!!

9. Lord Leighton

Here's a guy I follow on You tube. Very good, very experienced(Ex Military pilot too) and promotes aviation on every safe aspect. Greg, from Premier 1 Driver.

Everett 757 likes this.
  10. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Nothing new about this...
    Back in the day, Bonanzas were known as doctor killers. Then it was Barons. Then it was turboprops like Cheyenne. Now it's single-pilot jets. It goes along with the personality, the same personality of aggressive self-achievement and confidence that got them in a position to afford such expensive airplanes. Nothing new about it. Orville Wright himself had a fatal accident in 1908.

11. Richard Wyeroski

Yes nothing new here. It continue to happen and more will come!

12. Richard Wyeroski

I think a good instructor s a little paranoid. Just a little mind you. An instructor should also be a little annal and alway thinking "what If" as they fly an aircraft. What could go wrong? Is the weather changing faster then it should? Before flight checking the aircraft for problems is in ones mind. Alway thinking about any problem that could occur.... THe point here is that flying is fun and rewarding but anything can happen.

A single pilot jet is still more risk then a crew. It still is serious flying. A complicated machine that could have system failure. What if the pilot suddenly got sick? What would the young pilot sitting next to him with single engine Cessna experience do if the had to take over for some reason?

Yes that is being paranoid a little. My first jet flight was in a Lear 31. I remember thinking how cool it was......how smooth and how fast. It was powerful and could climb at 5000 feet a minute to a service ceiling of 51 thousand feet. I loved it and at the same time I thought .......what if.....how the hell would I land this thing?

Yes single pilot is cool and rewarding and flying a private jet with a single pilot authorization is serious business but in my opinion....."What if"