1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

FAA Safety Inspector brought up on bribery charges

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Nov 6, 2017.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Lord Leighton and Rotorruss like this.
  2. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

...why would the writer act surprised, he was part of the "system" at one point? He does give a pass to "management" for not realizing the "corruption" going on in their office. The "agency" is not new to this kind of "newsworthy" story. It makes one wonder who else knew about it and kept quiet, either because of fear of retaliation or was a silent partner. This is not the first, and won't be the last, black mark against the "agency". The writer should also understand that the "certificate holder" has a right to "due process" before "certificate action" is taken.

"Drain the Swamp" and all the "double speak"!

3. Richard Wyeroski

.....there is alway more then one!

4. Rotorruss

... through out the levels of command. No one is immune to it. Some would say that the "revolving door" is a form of corruption! I live it every day with the effects of the crash!

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  5. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    Thanks for posting, Richard. Many years ago, Miami and Ft. Lauderdale were separate FSDO's. Then they got combined and the moved to a building off the airports. There were some personality clashes afterwards. I'm sure the FBI could find more corruption if they look.

6. Richard Wyeroski

I always wondered why I was called into the managers office one day at my FSDO, and told to stop wasting FSDO resources on an investigation I was starting.

It seemed a Designated Pilot Examiner authorized by the New Jersey FDSO was doing a high volume of flight tests. The reason I got involved is because I was investigating a rouge flight school owner who was flying with foreign pilots for their Airline Transport Pilot Certificate ATP.

I suspected collusion with the school owner and foreign pilots, since it came to my attention that the flight school owner was physically helping them take the written test and setting up the flight test with this examiner. He would fly with them to the test and the applicant always passed!

My FSDO manager told me to drop it, that it was a waste of time.

Something sure smelled with this situation. I eventually sent my information to the DOT/OIG after I was forced out of Federal service.

Nothing was ever done........!

I could get into the fact that this rogue flight school owner was eventually tried in Federal Court after 9/11. I testified against him and that is another story.

7. Rotorruss

...of course, the FBI will find only "extreme carelessness", depending on how well connected to the "elite". They wouldn't have to leave the DC city limits to find "corruption" at "800 Indy".

8. Richard Wyeroski

Ex-FAA Inspector, Avionics Shop Co-owner Face Charges
    Federal charges have been filed against a former FAA safety inspector and the co-owner of Avcom Avionics, a South Florida maintenance provider. According to the U.S. Department of Transportation Inspector General's office, a 34-count indictment against former aviation inspector Manuel Fernandez and shop co-owner Patricia Suarez was returned by the grand jury, charging them with conspiracy to bribe a public official, bribery of a public official, false statements, aggravated identity theft and wire fraud. Rolando Suarez, the FAA-approved repair facility’s other owner, has already been convicted and sentenced in connection with the ongoing investigation.

The latest indictments claim that Suarez provided Fernandez with thousands of dollars in cash, credit cards, vacation cruises, airline tickets and other items in return for improperly obtained aviation repair manuals. Fernandez is accused of helping the company alter the manuals to disguise their origin and confidentiality, as well as providing it with notice and warnings of FAA inspections and investigations.

Conducted with the assistance of the FBI, the indictments also accuse Fernandez of disclosing sensitive and confidential information regarding Avcom’s competitors and failing to disclose the company’s legal, regulatory and policy violations to the FAA. He was also charged with providing false statements to the FAA and DOT regarding his relationship with Avcom.

9. Rotorruss

Sad. I know of one that used official trips that was used to develop a retirement job. They won't go after a manager for that.