1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

FAA on Erosion of Manual skills: FLightAware

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Lord Leighton, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Better clean up your own house first. I know many US crews that hit the autopilot as soon as they can.

3. Lord Leighton

Because it's easy to do.

4. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I'm not quite sure where the saying came from or if today it might not be considered Politically Correct, my mother being born in the UK had a saying which I think applies here "now look here who's calling the kettle black."

The FAA err..hrrrm. should kind of take a look in the mirror and reflect on their recent track record before telling another agency what they should be doing. This might have been justified 40 years ago, but today the FAA has a lot of soul searching to do before heading to lectern and a microphone to give a class on the Erosion of Manual Flying Skills even though it is an area to definitely be addressed. IMHO

5. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

Unfortunately the FAA has been run by inept management for years. imagine a few years ago FAA AFS-1 was afraid to fly! Think of that a manager in a key FAA position and she was afraid to fly on aircraft!o_O

6. Richard Wyeroski

It’s like a lot of the inept congressmen today......fire a gun near them and they will soil themselves yet they deal poorly with world situations!! I wonder why?

7. Richard Wyeroski

Standard Operating Procedure by many airlines is to put the aircraft immediately on auto-pilot after take off. This is done for passenger comfort because the auto-pilot flies the plane much better then the pilot does!

8. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

9. Richard Wyeroski

Listed under

“Changed Product Rule,” ......which means Boeing does not have to fix safety alert system?

It would cost a lot of money!......Yeah they don’t want to spent all the money.....So don’t fix them, right?

So what if the next accident is caused by one of these systems that is not safe.....

I wonder who in the FAA granted this exemption?

Yes it is criminal. It probably won’t get to the main stream media because of all the other politics going on.....

Unless of course a 737 Max crashes here in America and kills the wrong people.....

10. Lord Leighton

They soil themselves there too, but openly. Obozo was the best at it.

Rotorruss, Everett 757 and Kevin like this.
  11. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

That Piedmont Boeing 737-200 I flew from LGA back in 1970 something was a far cry from the various variants produced ever since. The damn plane didn't even have overhead compartments but an open overhead rack. Now you mean to tell me the 737-200 and the 737Max are similar and can be flown under the same type certification. An analog flight deck vs a glass one and all the other control changes. Not to mention the major physical changes to the aircraft itself. Bunch of B.S. The thing that irks the hell out of me is how many times the work "cost" kept coming up. Too much cost this, too much cost that. How about safety? This is criminal. How much money did Boeing save now that their bleeding out their rear ends over the MAX. Has anyone lost their jobs at Boeing or the FAA over this. With all this crap over transcripts all over the news I would love to see the one between Boeing and the FAA on this one.

12. Richard Wyeroski

Your right on ! However the regulator and the manufacturer made a deal to save money.

I could understand a company wanting to save money. The regulator has to look at it and require that safety be number one. In this case it was not and I only hope there were no payoffs to the right people.

They have to live with 346 deaths .........BTW would I be surprised if an investigation reveals corruption!........NO!.....As a former FAA Inspector I have seen to much fraud, waste abuse and criminal activity in the FAA.....No I would not be surprised!