1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

FAA Administrator to fly the MAX!

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Steve Dickson FAA Administrator will travel to Boeing and fly the MAX. Boeing is still working on changes and the aircraft is safe according to Boeing!

Boeing has lost Billions since the accidents and the world is watching ........

1F1BA302-09E2-4437-9A29-1E4282FFEE2D.jpeg

2. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

So Steve Dickson is traveling out to Boeing to take the 737MAX out for a spin. Boeing might as well been flushing money down the toilet for the past 6 months. I honestly believe Boeing found a lot more issues with the flight control systems with the MAX than they ever anticipated and are not ready to announce a fix.
    But along comes Steve Dickson to just kick the tires and see how things are coming along. Former VP of Operations for Delta Airlines. Wasn't that George Kennedy's role in the movie Airport? He'll tell Muilenburg just like Kennedy said to Burt Lancaster "give me 2 hours and I'll have this "mother" back in the air by midnight. We shall see what this little excursion yields.....

3. Richard Wyeroski

I can say that no one in the FAA is going to approve the MAX back to service. They are afraid for their pensions and careers! To survive in the FAA one never makes a decision!

Steve Dickson, appointed by the President obviously has the ear of the president. I believe he will fly the sim and fly the aircraft and make a decision. That decision has to come from his level.......

I could just see all those managers in Washington hiding under their desks until this is over

Meanwhile Boeing, which employs 400,000 people is bleeding 100 million a month!

I have personally spoken to pilots that fly the MAX before it was grounded. They say the aircraft is safe and the problems are poor pilot training and experience in third world countries.

One thing is Boeing management that allowed this situation with the FAA should be fired!

The FAA managers that allowed rubber stamping of Boeing data should be fired!

This needs to be moved forward or Boeing is going to go under!

We can not let this happen!

I hope the new Administrator, Steve Dickson can fix this now!

4. Kevin

I think everyone is gun shy here. Boeing doesn't want a any more hints of incompetence and impropriety if they so much as one hiccup when the MAX goes back into service, so they are making sure the t's are crossed and the I's dotted. If another MAX were to go down after it's return to service it would be a death knell for Boeing.

The FAA which has already lost respect around the world needs to demonstrate that it can really regulate that it's not just a paper tiger. I had great respect for both Boeing and the FAA for a long time. Both in my mind represented the Gold standard in aviation. I'm actually sad that two great American organizations have fallen face down in the mud with the Boeing 737MAX. There was a time when Boeing meant excellence in engineering and the FAA really did regulate. When those lines blurred I don't know.

But before as you say Rich Boeing files for bankruptcy because this can't continue forever and the FAA had to revamp their regulation and approval process to make it more robust and not leave it to the manufacturer although I understand EASA does the same thing with Airbus. Let the FAA be the leaders here.

I truly hope Steve Dickson can bring the horrific event in aviation to a close. Yes there will be repercussions to the reputation of the 737MAX like there was the DC-10, passengers refusing to fly on it, but the public does have a short memory and the DC-10 flew on for another 30 years and considered a reliable aircraft. The same thing will happen with the Boeing 737MAX after time passes. But first it has to get back in the air which I think will be a hard climb even after the US certifies it I don't know if other countries will just accept the FAA's certification.

No, I don't believe a 200 hour pilot should have been flying an aircraft like the Boeing737MAX but then again that's why we don't have those regulations here. What happened with the Ethiopian accident is exactly why experience and training does count, the unexpected.

Hopefully this will all come to a solution soon, its been running on way too long.

5. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Well said, Kevin! I read somewhere the other day that the costs to Boeing with the 737 MAX are expected to be around $8 billion. Wow! :eek: For $8 billion, they could have built a REALLY nice 757 replacement!

6. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

I tried to find it, but during a live interview the other day, Steve Dickson said that it will be released for the public after he pilots his family on a real MAX after his SIM time. $8 Billion coulda produced a lotta new B-797s but of course the Wall St. morons run Boeing, not Mullenberg.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2019
  7. Kevin

The Boeing 737Max was a knee jerk reaction to Airbus A320NEO which is now having it's own "handling characteristics" issues, retrofitting new larger high by pass engines on older airframe.

If Wall Street weren't calling the shots at Boeing the Boeing 737 and its 50 years of service would have taken its place in long line of historic Boeing Aircraft that represented the best in engineering. and Boeing could have moved on to the next generation of aircraft like a 757 replacement and developed the 797 if that was their plan. It was Wall Street that stopped them with that on again, off again development of the Next Generation Boeing Aircraft.

But enter American Airlines and them dropping the bomb their looking at the A320NEO and Boeing, while I can't blame them want to keep American a good customer rushed a product into service that wasn't quite ready for prime time or just outdated and jury rigged.

When the guys with the slide rules retired the guys with financial spreadsheets took over. While it is the goal of any corporation to make a profit it shouldn't be done at the cost of lowering quality control and cutting margins on safety especially in aviation. Boeing if it does survive and I think it will has lost the luster that Logo represented.

The 747 project almost bankrupted Boeing, but then engineers called the shots and built a product they believed in without compromise. But the Queen of the Skies ruled those skies for over 45 years and brought the company to profitability and leadership in the industry.

Now would Boeing still be around if the Wall Street Bunch were controlling the boardroom in 1969?

I hope Boeing recovers and someone should kick the Wall Street bunch in the ass. My own company we lost Market Share because of Wall Street and now that the new CEO is free to innovate and spend money were trying to get it back. We shouldn't of lost it in the first place because of financial guys were calling the shots.

But that does seem to be the trend with all large corporations today sadly.

8. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

9. Rotorruss

Why would you need to be humble if you did the job right the first time?? The administrator needs to fire someone for failing to do their job!!
    https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/09/20/politics/faa-boeing-737-max/index.html?r=https://www.google.com/

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  10. Rotorruss

11. Everett 757

12. Rotorruss

The "biggly one" is going to have his hands full with a possible international trade war on his hands. There needs to be a fall guy to fall on the sword to help smooth things over. All the ones responsible for the certification have now safely retired. Of course Congress oversight have their own hands in the pocket of the manufacturer.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/154...-air-ethiopian-airlines-managerial-revolution

13. Richard Wyeroski

Yes.......they are safely retired! So it all goes away! Politics and greed within Boeings and FAA management was the cause. It seems they never learn. Just like the problems with the 787, when 70% of it’s development was done over seas at cheap prices to save money!

Someone may ask where was the regulator? How could they just sign off on Boeing’s data without even checking it! BUT THEY ARE SAFELY RETIRED!

14. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

15. Everett 757

Wow! That is quite a revealing article. A lot revealed what we already suspected. :eek:

16. Richard Wyeroski

The Administrator is the only one that will have to okay the MAX now!
    FAA management is either hiding under their desks, on Vacation, transferred, retired or on sick leave! Is there anymore I left out!!!;)

17. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
  18. Richard Wyeroski

Yes interesting since the agency has said it will take any recommendations the NTSB has for them. Well since the FAA rubber stamped the Boeing data, what will the NTSB recommendations be?

Maybe the NTSB will tell the FAA to not rubber stamp certification requirements. Simple right!;)