1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Eddie the junk man

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Richard Wyeroski, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    I always like to hang around airports and talk airplanes.......and on this day I met Eddie T, he
    was kinda looking for a pilot to fly for him. He was a big black guy and touch looking and he owned this plane that he wanted to fly around in. In getting to know each other, I discovered
    Eddie was in the junk business and he seemed to do pretty well owning an airplane and a pretty new Cadillac and a nice house where he lived with his wife. So I said "Ed what kinda a plane do you own." He said it was a Piper twin motor aircraft.......

Eventually I met Ed to look at his plane and being somewhat cautious I asked him to bring his aircraft log books so I could check the paper work on the aircraft.

Unfortunately the twin was out of annual and everything else so I had him bring it to my friend Richie, that had a small shop across the field to get it airworthy again.

I soon discovered Ed took a bunch of flying instruction with various instructors and had quite a few hours in the twin. It was a pretty solid aircraft, being an early Aztec or what they call an Apache 235, which was a fairly good performer. As time went on Ed and I flew the 235 around so he could buy junk. His company specialized in cleaning out buildings and reprocessing the metal he got.

Ed told me of a job he had cleaning out an old watch manufacturing company. He bid on the junk and cleaned out the place and piled all the metal he got in his junk yard. When he later he got to the junk, he discovered the steel racks he bought as scrap was covered with Gold from manufacturing all those gold watches for years. When all the smoke cleared Ed earned quite bundle melting down the gold.

As time went on Ed eventually got rid of the Apache and stopped flying. It was interesting flying around with Ed the junkman buying junk.....I would miss the 235, since I could fly it around anytime I wanted.....!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Rich, thanks again for sharing another memorable story. I love real life stories like this. :)

Rotorruss and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  3. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member I

... thanks for sharing, Rich. I'd take a junk dealer over a snappy business man any day.

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Me too.

Rotorruss likes this.
  5. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

I did. Eddie was cool and the real deal. He Liked flying and life and all that went with it. One day he invited me to meet him for dinner and drinks at his favorite bar. I walked in and well, it was interesting as everyone stared at me wondering like ....did you walk into the wrong place.....Eddie immediately met me and gave the okay that this is my instructor everyone smiled and we all had a good night drinking eating and listening to some good music:cool:

Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.