1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

EASA issues EAD, withdraws ETOPS with immediate effect

Discussion in 'Latest Airline News' started by Exuma Guy, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    http://www.avherald.com/h?article=4b4c4509&opt=0

The European Aviation Safety Agency issued Emergency Airworthiness Directive (EAD) 2018-0041-E concerning all PW1127, PW1130 and PW1133 engines with high pressure compressor aft hub modification embodied from ESN P770450. The EAD effectively withdraws ETOPS certification for all affected engines with immediate effect and prohibits operation of A320 Neo and A321 Neo aircraft with two affected engines installed.

EASA argues:

Several occurrences of engine in-flight shut-down (IFSD) and Rejected Take-Off (RTO) have been reported on certain Airbus A320neo family aeroplanes. While investigation is ongoing to determine the root cause, preliminary findings indicate that the affected engines, which have high pressure compressor aft hub modification embodied from ESN P770450, are more susceptible to IFSD.

This condition, if not corrected, could lead to dual engine IFSD.

EASA imposes following restrictions with the EAD:

(1) Within 3 flight cycles (FC) from the effective date of this AD, do not operate an aeroplane having two affected engines installed.

(2) Within 1 FC from the effective date of this AD, for an aeroplane having at least one affected engine(s) installed, ETOPS operations are not allowed.

(3) Inserting a copy of this AD in the ETOPS Configuration, Maintenance and Procedures (CMP) of concerned aeroplane models and, thereafter, operating that aeroplane on ETOPS accordingly, is acceptable to comply with paragraph (2) of this AD.

Kevin, xnwa, Rotorruss and 3 others like this.
  2. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    :eek: Wonders what the FAA and Transport Canada will do? Rich will be all over this one. :p

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Kevin, xnwa, Rotorruss and 2 others like this.
  3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

:)......;)......:cool:.....aha!!!

4. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member III

... waiting for the agency to announce which tap shoes to wear?? Sick 'em Rich!!

Kevin, xnwa, Lord Leighton and 2 others like this.
  5. Richard Wyeroski

How could this happen?

6. Richard Wyeroski

Where was the FAA on this that EASA had to issue an emergency AD?

7. Rotorruss

...um, playing with drones? Playing with ADS-B? Um, not playing with a full flight deck? Still in morning after Michael left? Um, trying to figure out how to spell AD? Counting on the safety record of zero fatal crashes since 2009 to carry them through? Counting on the engine manufacturer to fix the problem because Compliance Philosophy and SMS says so and the agency spent a lot of money with these feel good programs?

Who knows where the agency is with this safety concern!!!

"Drain the 'damn' 'Swamp"!!!

8. Richard Wyeroski

I had hell to pay when I investigated a class A runway incursion at Islip MacArthur Airport on Long Island. The single controller on duty that day, handling Tower, ground and clearance delivery, cleared a Delta 737 flight for take off, while a Cessna 172, operated by the local flight school, was still on the runway .

This was definitely an ATC error and the Delta crew did not see the 172 they were about to hit!!!! The outcome was a miss by 50 feet. As close as you can come and not have an accident.

By doing my job as an FAA operations inspector, I contacted the tower manager, the controller on duty, the chief pilot of Delta Airlines and the flight school, flight instructor and student pilot in the 172.

It was clear (to this day I believe God stepped in and prevented this crash) this was a very serious incident. Unfortunately, the tower never reported the incident and it would have been covered up if it was not for my investigation.

The FAA office manager and Operations manager were very disturbed that I recorded the incident in the FAA Issis computer system. I was reprimanded for doing my job! ( I have the documentation to back up this story)

Eventually I was suspended for 10 days on trumpted up charges brought against me by my dishonest manager.

This FAA manager was out to get me because I would not look the other way and do his bidding to coverup problems in the field.

I was eventually removed from government service and went through the Government MSPB system that looked the other way and rubber stamped my removal.

So why is this FAA having problems. Why is moral low, why is the G/A accident rate so high, why is the FAA continuing to cover up the real problems in the field. My above story is only the tip of the ICEBURG ....

One day the truth will come out and all those minions and dishonest upper management criminals will be removed and the FAA, if possible, can become a safety agency again!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    Kevin, Everett 757, xnwa and 2 others like this.
  9. Rotorruss

They are counting on things being kept quiet and under the radar. They manipulate the data and cherry pick the talking points. They lull the public into a false sense of security.

I raised the safety concerns about the flight program for years. They tried to refute my reports. Then the crash happened. They tried to cover it up. They tried to blame me. They put me in a corner and removed me from any dealing with the program. Those responsible for the program were allowed to retire or were promoted.

One can only look at the news about the FBI debacle and understand what the morale of the rank & file and morals of the upper management in the government. The FAA isn't without their own debacles. SWA whistleblower debacle comes to mind. Those responsible were allowed to retire or be reassigned.

Until someone comes into the agency and cleans house, the cover-ups will continue. Mr. Babbitt tried to but was caught up with "deep state". Whoever the "biggly one" nominates, the "great pilot" needs to have his back covered, so when "Deep State" strikes, he will survive. It would be helpful that the DOT Secretary has the Adminstator's back too.

"Drain the 'damn' Swamp"!! Return the agency to the core mission!!

God bless you, Rich, and all the others who do the right thing!!

10. Richard Wyeroski

We just had another sight seeing helicopter fatal crash. The Russians had a major fatal airliner crash killing 71 of their citizens. G/A accident rates are still high. I think no one wants to hear about how bad over seas maintnenance is and how our airlines are putting safety behind profits. I know the President will have the back of the new FAA Administrstor so he can do his job. I think things are changing a little because the FAA deep state knows the White House is watching.

I have come to know so many other FAA employees removed from federal service because of the corruption in the FAA.

I have personally met them and talked with them. AIRNATION affords me a platform to expose the bad managers.

Times are changing. But it has been so bad for so long with President after President ignoring the problems, that President Trump really has a big job to fix the country. He is doing it. I believe he is the one to finally drain the swamp, expose the deep state corruption in all the agencies and make the country great again.

I truly believe he will do it. The FAA is only a small part of the overall picture, but times are changing.o_O

Kevin, Everett 757, Rotorruss and 2 others like this.
  11. Rotorruss

Yes, it's been a bad year for heliopters. We were due a bad year. Since Russia has had an airline crash, the agency will still spin a claim of a safety record with no US loss since 2009. They will claim that SMS and Compliance philosophy as factors for that record. They don't want people to notice that the incidents that happened had successful outcomes because of the excellent skill of the flight crews and luck.

The transportation sector has had a bad year. Accidents are up in all the modes of transportation. Is it lack of oversight? It it the crumbling, outdated infrastructure? Would privatized transportation solve the issues?

People hate change and change got me injured and disabled. They say elections have consequences. I'm ready for the "biggly one's" change. Time to put the people back into the field and do the core mission.

12. Richard Wyeroski

Let's face the facts. The only reason the FAA has approved 330 minute ETOPS is because it saves fuel and that adds up to big profits. No one really cares if Twin jet "CARGO" operations may be a little risky. They don't care because a few pilots and a bunch of boxes will be lost if a problem occurs ....mid Pacific!

It saves money and the profits are big to cover a loss. Now change that too 400 die as an airliner goes down mid-Pacific......!....and watch how fast the government authorities will rescind these dangerous ETOPS rules!

It will happen for sure as I am writing this thread, because overseas maintnenance is not monitored and failures are increasing every year. Fortunately our pilots can handle most emergency returns.....for nowo_O

13. Rotorruss

...and when it does happen, as sure as I'm writing this post, the agency will spin the report and look hard at shifting blame to operational or mechanical error. Otherwise, the catastrophic event would happen more often!

Just sayin', because I know how the "swamp creatures" and their "deep state" minions operate.

"Drain the Swamp"!!

14. Richard Wyeroski

Yes they can spin it, but how will they spin a second one or a third? ....Engines and aircraft systems are reliable. Aircraft are well made. Pilots are trained constantly to maintain currency. However the unknown is poor maintnenance from third world country maintnenance facilities that have little or no surveillance from government. So how will they spin the fact that there is no surveillance....what will they say? How could it be covered up? Bogus parts, poor maintenance, system failures on the increase. Yes it is true that fatal accidents are low world wide and in the U.S. there is been no "major" airline accident since 2009. Yet unknown to the public the so called "layers of safety" have all but disappeared because of low cost inferior maintnenance and lack of government supervision. Bogus parts have been on the rise again. Add to this, 330 minute ETOPS authorization for twin jets on long overwater flights and the risk factor increases past a safe level. An increase in the accident rate is now inevitable......I am sorry to say!

15. Rotorruss

... you'll get no argument here. They are counting on things not happening or a successful outcome if something does. The helicopter crashes are up this year, especially the fatal ones. I think GA crashes are up as well.

It's probably going to take someone to shake things up at the highest level that has the power to fix things. The swamp probably has some formula they used to show the cost/benefit analysis for approving ETOPS. The agency legal beagles probably blessed it too.

Watching the Secretary today, it sounds like nothing is off the table for changes to include public/private partnership. The alphabet groups are counting on congress not privatizing ATC. Maybe they will outsource something else?

Sometimes, it's tough to get back from going down the wrong path for so long. Maybe a clearing out of the top ranks is a start?

Everett 757 and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  16. Richard Wyeroski

Yes Russ it has been broken for so long. Anyone that tried to do the right thing was drumed out....! Problems were and are covered up. An accident can be justified. But the erosion of safety is to far gone. It will get worse before it can be turned around. Going in the wrong direction for years will take time to change. I do not believe the agency could be fixed now.

Everett 757 and Rotorruss like this.
  17. Rotorruss

...quite simply. Fully staff the field. Fill the policy divisions with people who know the subjects and not hire "off the street" to write policy. Have legal beagles defend the highest level of safety and don't cave to special interest.

There are too many chiefs and minions that have no clue on how their decisions impact the victim's family. Senior management still won't engage me in discussion on how their decisions left me disabled. Maybe they should have to go on a death notification and look the family in the eyes. Maybe they would take their decisions on safety policy a little more serious?

Shed some light on the swamp to expose the "swamp creatures"!!

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  18. Orca17

Orca17 Hangar Bronze Member VI

My fear is that this administration will do exactly the opposite. They seem out to gut every regulatory agency in the name of maximizing corporate profit. They seem to see any attempt at maintaining safety and environmental standards as an obstacle to major corporations.

Rotorruss likes this.
  19. Rotorruss

Ya'll ain't seen nuthin' yet! The agency is headed down the UAS path at the government warp speed. It's another technology they don't understand and industry is driving the boat.

All the other countries regulators are in the same boat. It's just matter of time where the technology will become unable to be regulated. Unfortunately, the only way to rein in this will be after blood is spilled and enough outcry from the right people.

Richard Wyeroski and Everett 757 like this.
  20. Richard Wyeroski

yes, the accident rate will increase and then they will have to regulate drones closer. FAA is reactive and only moves when it becomes public. The big difference that that I see since the last three presidents is President Trump will do something immediately. He will not let the FAA look the other way and hopefully dump the obstructionists and replace them with people that actually know the job!!