1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

E-cigarette cause fire on 737

Discussion in 'Airline Talk & Discussion' started by Richard Wyeroski, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    An e-cigarette caused a fire in the baggage hole of a 737. The crew acted quickly and made a emergency landing saving all on board

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MORE>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    E-Cigarette Battery Causes Baggage Hold Fire

[​IMG]

Canada’s Transportation Safety Board has determined that a small lithium ion battery used to power an e-cigarette caused a baggage compartment fire that resulted in a Mayday and subsequent emergency landing in Calgary last summer. The WestJet Boeing 737-700 with 58 people on board had just taken off for Vancouver on June 14 and was climbing through 9,000 feet when a cargo hold fire light came on. The crew hit the fire extinguisher and headed back to Calgary where the plane was met by fire trucks. By then, the fire was out but the potential was obvious.

The batteries were in an outside pocket of a backpack and the bag was loaded with that side down against the fire-resistant liner of the baggage compartment. The TSB determined one of the batteries had a thermal runaway. The subsequent fire consumed much of the outside of the bag and scorched the liner but did not spread to any other bags. WestJet policy is that all e-cigarettes and their batteries have to travel in the cabin and the battery terminals have to be protected. The bag’s owner said he knew the policy but forgot he had two spare batteries and their charger in the backpack. The bag was screened but the batteries weren't spotted.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

3. Richard Wyeroski

The crew got the aircraft on the ground quickly. It could have been worse...

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    Several lessons to learn from this incident-
    Security personnel are not necessarily trained to identify dangerous goods unless the DG looks like a weapon.
    Maintaining the integrity of the cargo compartment's fire lining is necessary.
    Halon and the new Halon replacements (clean agents) work good (damned expensive though...)
    99% percent of cargo fire warnings are false but precautionary landings are to be done anyway.
    Keeping the cargo doors closed until the passengers get off is good because the introduction of oxygen into the cargo compartment from opening the door could cause the smoldering bits to reignite into a raging fire.

Dang it... I been teaching this stuff too long.....

5. Richard Wyeroski

These type of batteries are being produced cheaper and cheaper. This poor quality is the reason so many of these have termal runaways. I think they should have better minimum standards producing these batteries.

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  6. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

I’m sure glad this didn’t end in a disaster.

7. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Good luck telling that to 'Won Hung Lo'!

Everett 757 and Richard Wyeroski like this.
  8. Richard Wyeroski

Holi Fuk.......