1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Did FAA corruption contribute to the crash of GOL 1907, that killed 154?

Discussion in 'FAA News, Opinion and Articles' started by Richard Wyeroski, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    I suppose it's time now to talk about this crash. Quite frankly it has haunted me since it happened in 2006 and I personally know the people involved because I was employed by this company before going of to work for the FAA.

If I ever saw an accident that could have been prevented if just one little link, in the proverbial accident chain was broken, it is this one!

FAA is in the middle again with the lack of proper oversight.

The company involved was under the jurisdiction of the FAA Eastern Region and Farmingdale FSDO.

I suppose with all the bad blood between me and the FAA Eastern Region, one could say I have an ax to grind?o_O...

I would like to discuss this accident and see what comes out in the wash.

One thing I will say is I exposed certain people in the FAA that were connected with this crash and I was harassed with the loss of my Mechanic's Inspection Authorization!

Yes the FAA used it's powerful office to attack me.....but that is another part of this story

SEE LINK
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gol_Transportes_Aéreos_Flight_1907

2. Richard Wyeroski

BTW a journalist named Joe Sharkey who writes for the New York times, was aboard the other plane, that hit GOL 1907.

Mr Sharkey survived and wrote about his experience.

After seven years there are still a lot of questions with no answers. The FAA has closed the case and the main contributing factor was pilot error and the error of the Brazilian ATC system.o_O

SEE JOES BLOG
    http://boardingarea.com/joesharkey/2008/09/29/brazil-crash-two-years-later/

3. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    How do you attribute the accident to the DOM who was likely sitting in the cabin?

Lord Leighton likes this.
  4. Richard Wyeroski

Hmmmm...Guy....I don't believe I attributed this accident to the DOM.

5. Richard Wyeroski

However an investigation should have covered whether the DOM was qualified.

6. Richard Wyeroski

This crash had a lot of questions. Like why did the TCAS start to work after the collision? Why didn't the crew use " Strategic Lateral Offset Procedures", SLOP. Why didn't anyone on board like the manufacturers rep and the DOM "suggest" the SLOP procedures????

Standard Operating Procedures, SOP when operating in countries with questionable ATC procedures is to use SLOP.

MORE
    http://www.ifalpa.org/downloads/Lev...BL02 - Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure.pdf

7. LandoPBM

LandoPBM Hangar Bronze Member III

Suriname Suriname
    Interesting. Did they turned it (TCAS) off deliberately or was it a technical malfunction combined with a design that was less than adequate (only visual no aural warning for TCAS malfunction). In the latter the aircraft and its systems were certified like that; regulators allowed this to happen...
    and as we all know now the fact that the DoM was incompetent was never investigated and will never be :confused:

8. Richard Wyeroski

I do not believe they ever turned off the TCAS. The system was not functioning before the crash?

This is the biggest question...why did the crew not see the system was off or on standby? The aircraft was out of contact with Brazilian ATC for almost 45 minutes!

DOM's are required to have expertize in Airframe, Engines and Avionics, as well as holding an Inspection Authorization IA. Large 135 operations with numerous heavy jet equipment demand no less.

The three most important individuals on a 135 Charter Certificate are the Chief Pilot, Director of Operations and the Director of Maintenance. All are suppose to be held accountable by FAA for anything contrary to the regulations.

Yes it is easy to Monday morning quarter back anything. Hind sight is 20/20.....but there are still questions. Having conducted FAA proving runs for Certificate Certification, I would most definitely would have "suggested"...... to the Captain ......to fly SLOP procedures.

The Devil was at 37,000 feet that dayo_O

more....an interesting read
    http://www.vanityfair.com/magazine/2009/01/air_crash200901

9. LandoPBM

LandoPBM Hangar Bronze Member III

Suriname Suriname
    two brandnew aircraft, unbelievable. Thanks for the link, it was a loooooong but interesting read

10. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member V

Bahamas Bahamas
    For TCAS to work properly, both aircraft must have functioning units. The B-737 was working, but the Embraer's was not. I can't find it right now, but one of the documentary channels had an episode about this accident. Of particular note was the fact that the Embraer's transponder could be turned to off or stand-by inadvertently when the captain puts his feet up on the foot rests above the rudder pedals.

11. Shawn White

Shawn White Hangar Silver Member I

I haven't watched the whole thing, but I think it was the Mayday S05E10 (Phantom Strike/Death over the Amazon) you were talking about.

Edward Jeszka and Lord Leighton like this.
  12. Richard Wyeroski

[​IMG]

This 600 cockpit picture shows the foot rests so the pilots could push back and raise their legs on long flight....(right next to the radios and transponder head!)

The Honeywell system has four areas to look for the Transponder/TCAS info. The Primary Flight Display (2) and the transponder display (2)

The big question has always been ...why? did either pilot not see the transponder position ??

Then, why did the system work after the collision?

13. Richard Wyeroski

Now I have a statement to make on AIRNATION. May God be my judge if what I am about to say is not true or made up in any way!

I have asked the DOT/ Inspector General to investigate the harassment I received from the FAA EASTERN REGION, in using a government office to remove my Inspection Authorization from my Mechanic Certificate.

I accused an FAA Inspector of allowing this 135 operator of appointing a Director of maintenance DOM that was not qualified. I made this statement because I personally know and have worked with this individual.

In March 2010 I was notified by two separate e-mails from the Farmingdale FSDO, that my Inspection Authorization IA on my Mechanic Certificate could not be renewed unless I was a full time employee working 35 hours a week as a mechanic!

I do not work full time as a mechanic.

To make a long story short! I protested and won the right to renew my Inspection Authorization.

The reason behind all this is very serious. The Assistant Division Manager, Michael Dipaolo, in the FAA Eastern Regional Office used his power to harass me, because he knew I was the individual that lodged a complaint against him to the Inspector General's Office.

The part that makes this whole affair very interesting is Mr Dipaolo was the FAA expert aiding the FAA Attorney Jeanine Gottimer, in my original hearing to remove me from my job for not being qualified to hold an Inspection Authorization.

Is this FAA corruption?

MORE TO COME

14. Richard Wyeroski

15. Richard Wyeroski

HOW FAA COVERS-UP A SCREW-UP
    I have attached a letter from FAA headquarters in Washington DC, pertaining to the Eastern Region harassment I experienced for Whistleblowering.

The FAA Flight Standards Manager John Allen (now retired) assured me that Assistant Division Manager Michael Dipaolo, Inspector Neil Gillissen (attached to the Eastern Region 230 office) and Inspector Lou Misiano (attached to the Farmingdale FSDO) were only following guidance ?

BTW, All documents of the so called guidance have been rescinded because they were not national policy, or policy of any kind!

This e-mail to me, caused such a protest that FAA, had to do a NOTICE of PROPOSED RULE MAKING NPRM in the Federal Register to clarify and write a policy

I am sure,that behind the scenes, Dipaolo, Gillissen and Misiano were called on the carpet for embarrassing their superiors.

You will also note, that the letter from Mr Allen is not signed by him. This is a practice to allow the responsible party to back peddle if the letter causes any problems!

I won the battle, but the war continues......

Lastly, I have written a statement to the National Transportation Safety Board, NTSB, on three air crashes, under the jurisdiction of the Farmingdale FSDO, that took the lives of 175 souls, counting the GOL 1907 accident. I will post this report at another time!

PS please remember you must be logged into AIRNATION to read attached files

Attached Files:

16. Richard Wyeroski

BTW I sent a letter to Mr Allen in response to his letter date August 31, 2010. I never received a response.

Attached Files:

17. Richard Wyeroski

18. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Sorry, the letters were blank on my screen, but keep goin!

Richard Wyeroski likes this.
  19. Richard Wyeroski

Lord...I just checked it and the documents are there. I hope you can get it to work, since I will shortly publish a statement by me sent to the NTSB pertaining to what I will call the "GOOD OLE BOY CLUB"

One point to discuss before hand is what the NTSB calls the contributing factor.... which means after an investigation is concluded, who is the responsible party?

In the case of the GOL 1907 crash, pilot error and Air Traffic Control ATC error were the main factors, and a large percentage is attributed to these two areas.

NTSB gives the cause a percentage. Pilot error 40% controller error 40%. The companies that own the aircraft could be a factor too! Lastly, the aircraft design, engines and Avionics (radios) are a factor .

The Director of Operations DO, Chief Pilot CP, and the Director of Operations DOM are interviewed and their background checked (by the FAA for the NTSB) and about a year later the cause is published.

The main points here are the TCAS system. The traffic avoidance system. Was it on/off ? why did it work after the accident ......why?

As I mentioned earlier, the SLOP procedure? why didn't the crew go off altitude and center line.

SLOP is standard operating procedure SOP, for many companies.

The last part of this is going to be my statement to the NTSB. I actually sent it to them around December 2011. I spoke with them a few times to clarify some points and exchanged additional e-mails.

It is a sensitive document, because it names names and adds another factor to the probable cause.

The FAA personnel involved, ironically are the same individuals that misled the FAA administrative law judge in my case that removed me from my job.

I could be sued by these individuals I suppose if they choose to do so. However before a law suit could be brought forth. One has to prove that what I have said is a lie or not!

My background as An FAA Inspector, Pilot and Mechanic carries some weight. The fact that I worked for the charter operator involved and knew the the individuals personally is a factor.

The FAA Assistant Division Manager in the Eastern Region, Michael Dipaolo, in my opinion, used his office to harass me for reporting this situation.

My statement to the NTSB connects Mr Dipaolo to two air crashes that are questionable, since he had oversight on the companies involved as an FAA Inspector.

The government (NTSB, DOT, FAA) has all my documents and have chosen, so far to do nothing with them.

I also provided the Brazilian Government with these documents.

Believe me I do not take lightly having to now expose all the individuals involved. The FAA just wants me to go away. But, I believe in certain values, truth and Honesty and I will say the FAA does not have any of these.o_O

More to Come

20. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

Rich, I have "adblockplus" on my computer that negates those stupid repetitive video commercials that you HAVE to watch in order to view Yahoo's stupidly written video articles for example. It also interferes with me viewing local Channel 2 fox tv news videos, NHL Videos etc and sometimes affects other things.
    Don't quit forging forward on your endeavor, Let em know that what they think is a Chihuahua that is biting their ankles is in fact a Pitbull. The squeaky wheel gets the grease is one of my life lessons. Just need to have something happen to bring your point to the forefront and you might want to employ the full transparency reasoning tactic that certain people use as a positive campaign point to do it!