1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Delta receives its Last Boeing Airplane, future, it's all Airbus: FlightAware

Discussion in 'Airline Talk & Discussion' started by Lord Leighton, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
    Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

Kevin, Rotorruss and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

They are becoming the Chrysler of the late 70's. They need someone like Lee Iaccoa to lead them. But they only make men like him once in lifetime may he RIP.

Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  4. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

I was looking at Delta's fleet mix and although diverse sadly (at least IMHO) its moving to Airbus. I still has a large mix of Boeing and the Mad Dogs but they will be gone by 2020 and probably rightly so. I saw an interview Ed Bastain President of Delta said the although he hates to let them go so will the Boeing 757's and Boeing 767's. He actually said that if Boeing did have a replacement for these planes he would have bought them He said he "Grew up with them in the Delta fleet and sad to see them go." So that will leave the newer 737's and 777's to soldier on in a mostly Airbus fleet. Why? Because Boeing failed to see the market changes that were in right in front of them. Satisfy the stockholders. There is no longer shame like in the 60's and 70's for American flag carriers to have foreign built aircraft in their fleets. I remember American Airlines having "Astrojet 400" on their BAC 111's trying to hide its true manufacturer to the untrained eye. Even though Braniff had a sizeable fleet of 111's they could easily be confused with the DC-9 to the uninitiated. Frank Borman broke the mold a bought the first of the Airbus A-300's as a test to see if the aircraft would fufill a niche in Eastern's fleet. Some 40 years later Airbus has become a powerhouse. Boeing's inability or unwillingness to adapt to market demands plus the current B737MAX debacle I'm afraid will make them the number 2 aircraft manufacturer. I'm not saying Airbus doesn't deserve the credit for the aircraft they prouce and sold, they read the market right and make a good product, but it's always nice to cheer for the home team and I'm afraid Boeing is coming up short. But who knows I've been a Met's fan my whole life among the sea of Yankees fan and haven't given up on them yet.

Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  5. Everett 757

Well said, Kevin.

6. Lord Leighton

I've always said from the get go that Boeing screwed up big time in retiring the manufacturing of the 757 WAY too early and not upgrading IT instead of trying to make a 737 a 747.

Everett 757 likes this.
  7. Everett 757

Got that right. I was reading that the estimates for this debacle now are closing in on $5 billion. :eek: That would have more than covered a great 757 upgrade or a great 757 replacement. Stupid Wall Street idiots influencing Boeing’s every move. :mad:

Lord Leighton likes this.
  8. Lord Leighton

Everett 757 likes this.
  9. Everett 757