1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Delta Airlines MD-88 engine failure forces emergency landing [video]

Discussion in 'Latest Airline Incidents' started by Everett 757, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VII

United States United States
    Kevin and Rotorruss like this.
  2. Rotorruss

Rotorruss Hangar Silver Member IV

Thank God it stayed together so they could get down safely. It's great to know that the regulator had a data driven safety system to predict the failure and thank God they force the crew to take training to react to the emergency. Pfft. The regulator is a toothless paper tiger. Way to go flight crew though.!!

Drain the Swamp!!

Kevin and Everett 757 like this.
  3. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member IV

Thank God that the experience of the flight crew and may I take a guess at the design of a 32 year old airplane and may have stopped an uncontained failure. Thank goodness the center cone did not damage any of the fan blades to cause them to fail and thus possibly an uncontained failure. Kudos to the crew. Although I love the Mad Dogs they are getting long in the tooth an probably have to be flown out finally to the desert or sold to some third world carrier. As far as the comment of the cockpit being cramped I'll agree that my friend who was a pilot for TWA who was a F/O on MD-80's at the time let me sit in the right hand seat while the plane was parked at the gate between flights and I was kind of surprised how small it was. But then again it was designed to be a "regional" jet in the 1960's. As far as the "old school" controls pilots allegedly complain about at least it lets them fly the plane and not have a computer take over and put it into a nose dive which they have no control over. Delta dodged a bullet on this one but the bright side is we don't have another weekend of fatalities to chalk up.

Rotorruss and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Exuma Guy

Exuma Guy Hangar Silver Member VI

Bahamas Bahamas
    It looks scary for sure.
    However, the plane will fly if the engine falls off.
    The fan is still turning which indicates the internal damage stayed internal.
    The MD-80's are being retired because they burn so much fuel, not because of age.
    Delta plans to retire theirs into next year.

Kevin and Everett 757 like this.