1. Welcome to SocialHangar.net! The place where everything Airlines is shared, discussed and debated. Whether you're a frequent traveler or a fan of airliners and airports you'll be able to find what you need here...so browse around, take a look and register if you like what you see. Registration is simple...just click on the 'Sign Up Now' link to the right of this message to get your FREE account (you can also choose to register using Facebook). Once you register this message will disappear. Hope you'll join us!

Delta 767 stuck on remote Aleutian Island for Christmas Eve: FlightAware

Discussion in 'Airline Fares, News & Discussion' started by Lord Leighton, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Lord Leighton

Lord Leighton Hangar Gold Member I

United States United States
  2. Everett 757

Everett 757 Hangar Silver Member VI

Nice that they could make it in time for Christmas.

Kevin and Lord Leighton like this.
  3. Richard Wyeroski

Richard Wyeroski Hangar Gold Member I

The flight had an engine problem!. If it was a four engine aircraft they could have diverted to a better airport or even continued the flight to destination.

A twin jet on 330 minute ETOPS rules (dangerous and we are playing Russian roulette!!!) has an immediate emergency when an engine problem exists. More and more airlines have switched to twin jet operations for more profit and as time goes by there will be serious accidents for the sake of profit!

Hmmmm this is a sore spot for me since many of you know my position on twin jet 330 minute ETOPS rules. Governments have thrown away the book on safety.

o_O........till the next time.....and the next and the next until the accident rate justifies (enough people killed) going back to the old rules.

BTW the thread "FOUR ENGINES ARE BETTER THEN TWO" is heading toward 200,000 hits......

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    Kevin, Lord Leighton and Everett 757 like this.
  4. Lord Leighton

Well, to look at things brightly, They can now take Shemya Island and the Frigate bird Guano off their bucket list. :rolleyes: At least they had a runway to land on. They are making more and more remote runways as they're a lot cheaper to make/build/pave/maintain than burning fuel through 4 engines all the time. Of course, anywhere around Antarctica is out of bounds for that and this is why they don't do Trans-Antarctic Polar routes. I know, I stirred the bee's nest. :eek:

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  5. Everett 757

What happened to Kevin’s post on this? I saw it then it disappeared.

6. Lord Leighton

Some others did as well recently, I noticed too and they let me know by E-mail. Remember when there were 2 different sites during a 'transition'? o_O

7. Everett 757

I do remember that. :eek:

8. Richard Wyeroski

:eek:

Kevin, Everett 757 and Lord Leighton like this.
  9. Kevin

Kevin Hangar Bronze Member II

Yep my post isn't here. Let me see if I can remember what I posted. I think the ETOPS 330 Rule is ludicrous. Back in 2016 I had the good fortune for my wife and I to spend a few weeks in Europe with another couple we knew for years. They took care of the details so we ended up flying on Virgin Atlantic from EWR-LHR on an A330. My friend Paul who had just retired from Air Canada and held an A&P Rating wanted to see if Virgin really did bring back the service of the 70's since he was in the industry in its halcyon days. The trip was beautiful and the flights were uneventful and yes the service was demonstrably better then if I probably flew American. I'm going admit that looking out the window and seeing only one engine on the wing while over the Atlantic in the middle of the night made me uneasy. Since I don't get out much the last time I took a Transatlantic flight was in the late 90's from JFK-LGW on a TWA Boeing 747. I have to admit that this was after the TWA 800 incident. I realized that I was flying on an aircraft with 25+ years of service, on a similar route but I still felt no uneasiness whatsoever although the thought of the doomed flight flashed thru my mind as a memory of sadness not fear. OK so the FAA certifies 3 Engine Overwater Flights allowing the operation of the DC-10 and L-1011 on extended flights. But that's still 3 engines. We still have 2 left if anything goes wrong. When the ETOPS rule was announced siting that the "engine technology and reliability has improved to a point that we are confident that the aircraft can make it to an alternate airport on one engine". I thought that was nuts but realizing it was pressure from the airlines for economic reasons and never agreed with it. The number of A340's sold and still in service demonstrate this. Now the 330 min rule is insane. I know no disaster has happened "yet" but as the odds are there will be I'm a strong believer in "Murphy's Law" and when it does happen the whole storm of finger pointing and blame delegation will begin and the 330 min ETOPS operation examined. It will take loss of life for this rule to be re thought unfortunately. Yes with four engines they could have diverted to a better equipped airport or even completed the flight to its destination. But no one is going to convince the airlines of that as long as the money rolls in. Sad something tragic has to happened for this rule to possibly be reexamined.

10. Richard Wyeroski

Yes the government 330 minute ETOPS rules are dangerous. It is all the save money and make more profit. This is unfortunate because the risk with twin operations and long over water flights is increasing in risk at an alarming rate. More and more system and engine failures are occurring because of lack of proper oversight of maintnenance facilities by the world governments.

Bogus parts are increasing and low cost maintnenance is causing many system failures.

I started the tread about this and it is approaching 200,000 hits with over 500 comments. Nothing will be done as you say Kevin until the accident rate increases. Till then we will continue to have failures with aircraft making emergency landings until a "few " crash.

11. Richard Wyeroski

BTW everyone here on AIRNATION know the problems and we have been advocating reform and proper over sight by the government.

We know what is ahead unfortunately we can not stop it until the right people get killed in the right place in the world.

SO sad and unfortunate, but that is the way it has to be!o_O